2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie here. Thought I would share my version of a CD player delete in a Mazda 3 Saloon. I was looking around but could find the exact thing I wanted so I thought I would give it a go myself.

I firstly mocked up the exact dimensions of the CD player in 1mm cardboard.

After getting this to fit I took the dimensions and ordered the parts in 3mm black acrylic from cutmyplastic.co.uk. This was cut to exact sizes on my tablesaw and covered in a sticky back felt from hobbycraft.

Now the faceplate was the most tricky as I had to shape it to the curve of the CD player (excuse the dinner in the background).

I did this by taping the top lip to the cardboard version and attacking it with a heatgun until it slowly warped round. Its not perfect but its close enough. The hole was cut using a scroll saw.

All the parts were glued together using Tensol 12 Acrylic Adhesive and taped for extra structure. The gap at the front that appeared due to the curve was filled with gorilla 2 part epoxy.

After a quick sand I covered the faceplate with black fablon and used the back peg for stability (drilled and tapped so I could screw it in).

In the car I personally think it looks quite good. Let me know your thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Look great! Glad mine didn’t even come with a CD player...not sure what I would have put in there...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
That looks great! Considering doing something similar now. I have not used my cd player once.

All models 2016 and newer did not come with the cd player. Mazda replaced that will usb ports I think.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think 2016 was the last year they had a CD player. The USB ports in the 2016 were in the center compartment between the seats.

They got moved under the HVAC controls in my 2018 and they got rid of the CD player. There's still a 12v plug in the center compartment though, which I use to charge my phone when needed.
CK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks good! I'm surprised nobody has a 3d print design for something like this up on thingiverse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts