2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a "Mute" button anywhere for the audio?
I realize a lot of you guys don't use CD's anymore, but I do (so far).
I find that when I press the on/off button ( side of controller) to mute the sound, It doesn't pause the CD, and the tune I was listening to has finished when turning on again.:|
The two cars I had before this had mute buttons which stopped the CD.
This was very handy indeed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What model did you get? And what submodel? (iTouring, iGrandTouring, etc...)

·
Registered
133 Posts
In my opinion, "mute" and "pause" are two very different functions. What you are looking for is a hardware pause button, and no we don't have that. You can press the pause button on the screen, though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pressing the volume button by the commander knob acts as the mute button. I only use that when I'm going thru a drive thru.... quick and easy.

I do know that there's a pause button on the touch screen. I'll use this when it's a good song and I'm going thru the drive thru and I want to listen to the song after I order while I'm waiting.

I have a 2015 iTouring with bose and infotainment.

I'm not sure if the base stereo system has the pause button.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What model did you get? And what submodel? (iTouring, iGrandTouring, etc...)
Not sure, I think it might be the iGrandtouring.
Mine's just called a SE-L Nav over this side of the pond.

Perhaps I didn't explain properly in my first post.
All I want to know...
Is there something that will mute the audio and stop the CD playing at the same time, so when I unmute (if that's a word..lol) it will start the CD at the same position as I muted?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes this is another pet peeve of the Mazda3.

The only way to stop playback of CDs (and the USB stick) is to hit the pause button. Mute weirdly seems to just turn off the volume but keep the unit running. I would just get in the habit of twirling the MZD knob over to pause.

Frankly, not sure what the point of the "mute" function is. Should be a simple on/off for the system.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not sure, I think it might be the iGrandtouring.
Mine's just called a SE-L Nav over this side of the pond.

Perhaps I didn't explain properly in my first post.
All I want to know...
Is there something that will mute the audio and stop the CD playing at the same time, so when I unmute (if that's a word..lol) it will start the CD at the same position as I muted?
There should be an option on the screen, if you go to the music section, that will allow you to pause the cd or mp3 etc... I will take a picture of what my screen looks like after work today so you can compare it and see if yours gives you the same options. I can't imagine they would have different stereo controls for different countries, but I could be wrong.

And I love how you said "over this side of the pond", I've heard it before but it always makes me chuckle. That's one big freaking pond. Lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There should be an option on the screen, if you go to the music section, that will allow you to pause the cd or mp3 etc... I will take a picture of what my screen looks like after work today so you can compare it and see if yours gives you the same options. I can't imagine they would have different stereo controls for different countries, but I could be wrong.

And I love how you said "over this side of the pond", I've heard it before but it always makes me chuckle. That's one big freaking pond. Lol
Yes for two countries that are very close allies there sure is a lot of water between us.
Look forward to seeing your picture bud. ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I forgot to take one tonight when I was driving home from work. It was a long day. I'll leave a note to myself to take one first thing in the morning and I'll post it when I get to work.

Sorry about that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok here is what I get on my display when I play cd's or mp3's. Its the only control for the audio. Where it is highlighted and says play is where the pause option appears. For some reason when I take a picture with my phone while its playing an mp3, it paused for half a second. IDK why it does that...

Anyways hope it helps a little at least.

Attachments

Reactions: fzbob

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got-ya, thanks hharren.

Still shame there's not a simple button/knob somewhere.
Had a small button on my steering wheel on my previous motor which muted the sound as well as pausing the CD ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Frankly, not sure what the point of the "mute" function is. Should be a simple on/off for the system.
I think the mute should:
Mute the radio.
Mute and pause the USB/CD play back (I can see no point in having them play muted)
BUT should not mute the trafic info for the navi, (actually not sure if it does or not).

By the way: the easiest way to pause is to use the voice command "pause". Takes a bit of time but it does saves going through all the screens.

Reactions: fzbob

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
never gave voice control a thought...cheers. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think the mute should:
Mute the radio.
Mute and pause the USB/CD play back (I can see no point in having them play muted)
BUT should not mute the trafic info for the navi, (actually not sure if it does or not).

By the way: the easiest way to pause is to use the voice command "pause". Takes a bit of time but it does saves going through all the screens.
In my prior BMW we used to have with iDrive, hitting the on/off knob on the volume button did exactly what you mention above. Voice guidance, phone, and navi worked normally but it turned off/stopped playback of radio/USB/CD.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Got-ya, thanks hharren.

Still shame there's not a simple button/knob somewhere.
Had a small button on my steering wheel on my previous motor which muted the sound as well as pausing the CD ;)
No problem! That's why we are on here...

Yeah the actual pause button was an oversight, but they couldn't make a perfect car...then nobody would want to upgrade when the new model comes out :beerchug 1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts