2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to the forum and i read alot of info about skyactiv,well my question is,is it really that skyactiv have two cat?one is monitor and other is not?im asking is because im thinking of getting CBE but really worried about emission thing..i read about if you get a racepipe youll replacing the catalytic,and i dnt want to get the highflow right now(money thing)if anyone willing to explain about skyactiv replacing the exhaust,will be happy and thankful to hear it..btw im totally nub about exhaust,well...about cars:sad 1:

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I am not entirely sure about the sky active model. However,what state are you from and do they require you to pass an emissions test? Here in florida they dont so your good. Most of the time the second cat wont make you fail as the front cat does most of the work. To my understanding the second cat was put on cars for California regulations. Thats what i had been told anyway. If you just do a CBE then you are fine for sure as both cats will still be in place.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure about emmision test,is it only required when you get notified by cops?btw i live in WA state bellingham..i wanna know if i can remove 1 cat then replace it with racepipe then leave one with monitor cat,if even possible?i dont even know where the cat is place in exhaust

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Here's my opinion. I would leave the first cat alone as it will set a cel off if messed with. The second cat is after the O2 sensor so it won't set off any codes. It's fine to remove the second just don't get pulled over for making too much noise and you will be fine. :p

Let me ask you this. Are you doing it more for sound or for horsepower?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
im planning on getting the Corksport catback exhaust,if possible to remove 1 of the cat then ill get the racepipe to replace the unmonitor cat,and i just want the sound but dont want to lose performance either,so if removing 1 of the cat lose performance,then maybe just get CBE without racepipe,but maybe less sound?any suggestion?

oh and if i remove the other cat then sure will replace it with racepipe right?

·
Registered
345 Posts
The second converter is unmonitored and will only effect emissions if you must do a tail pipe test. I did the Corksport CBE with racepipe because I didn't want to cut the factory exhaust. Easy bolt on with no worries. If you run into emissions issues, just throw the factory converter and mid pipe on and run through emissions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The second converter is unmonitored and will only effect emissions if you must do a tail pipe test. I did the Corksport CBE with racepipe because I didn't want to cut the factory exhaust. Easy bolt on with no worries. If you run into emissions issues, just throw the factory converter and mid pipe on and run through emissions.
i read about having the cat replace with racepipe is too loud,cause bad smell and too much smoke?is it happen to your skyactiv?

·
Registered
345 Posts
The converter acts like a small resonator. I don't think mine is overly loud at all. You still have the log manifold and first converter to help keep things level and two resonators in the Corksport system to take away those unwanted high pitch frequencies and raspiness. There's plenty of Hondas around here that are louder. It doesn't smell the prettiest when it's warming up but otherwise no issues there. You shouldn't ever have smoke issues unless you're burning oil or its running insanely rich. You will get a little bit more soot on the bumper but that's no big deal if you keep it clean.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone for the time and info,this gives me alot of idea,still deciding if i go magnaflow muffler or CS cbe/racepipe..will post the result once i decided..currently waiting for my SRI,im soo excited,my first mod ^^

1 - 9 of 9 Posts