2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CarPlay is not what many of you think it is. I've heard statements on this board that your unit needs more power to run it because the BT chip is old. Untrue as it only works with a lightning connector. People think it will allow access to many apps. Untrue as it will not. It will be quite limited. In fact, it really won't add any features to the infotainment system than what you have now except for a very limited version of Siri. Also, you won't be able to do anything else on your phone when CarPlay is active. On the downside, it will require hardware changes. My guess after seeing it's implementation in other cars, is that they will add a lightning connector but not change much else. Therefore, it won't be added to older (like ours) cars. Mercedes has been talking about adding it to older cars, but I'm not sure how they will do that except with an add on hardware module.

Android Auto will add more capabilities than CarPlay and looking at it from a technical perspective, might be able to be added to our cars. Obviously we won't know this until this product is introduced at the end of this year.

Here's my reference article from Extreme Tech as facts are important:

Apple CarPlay: Is that all there is for now? | ExtremeTech

Reactions: JAGDrummer

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd take it over how the system is now though, at least then I would be guaranteed most likely that it would work properly with my phone. Right now sometimes I can't even play audio over usb or Bluetooth, can't display album art. At least if the cell phone company is making the system they will test it with their hardware, that to me is a big step in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd take it over how the system is now though, at least then I would be guaranteed most likely that it would work properly with my phone. Right now sometimes I can't even play audio over usb or Bluetooth, can't display album art. At least if the cell phone company is making the system they will test it with their hardware, that to me is a big step in the right direction.
In computer systems, the hardware manufacturer creates the drivers for the interface. It seems in car infotainment systems, the car manufacturer creates the interface. So your point is absolutely on target. However, I don't know whether the USB or BT interfaces would be part of the CarPlay or Android Auto products. I get the impression from this article and others that car manufacturers are creating the interfaces, not Apple or Google. That would mean many of the problems would remain while a few of them would go away. In computers, drivers cause many of the blue screens of death because they are at the base level of the OS.

I guess my conclusion is that you shouldn't expect too much and be surprised if it turns out great. Car Play and Android Auto are in their infancies and it will take time and many updates to make them really good.

·
Registered
106 Posts
They won't add a lightening connector, but what they will probably do is add an HDMI port like they did in the new civic to allow the Mobile device to interface with the screen. The device will connect via USB and HDMI. I doubt the Mazda has any screen mirroring technology currently so you can pretty much count our cars out.

·
Registered
476 Posts
CarPlay is not what many of you think it is. I've heard statements on this board that your unit needs more power to run it because the BT chip is old. Untrue as it only works with a lightning connector. People think it will allow access to many apps. Untrue as it will not. It will be quite limited. In fact, it really won't add any features to the infotainment system than what you have now except for a very limited version of Siri. Also, you won't be able to do anything else on your phone when CarPlay is active. On the downside, it will require hardware changes. My guess after seeing it's implementation in other cars, is that they will add a lightning connector but not change much else. Therefore, it won't be added to older (like ours) cars. Mercedes has been talking about adding it to older cars, but I'm not sure how they will do that except with an add on hardware module.

Android Auto will add more capabilities than CarPlay and looking at it from a technical perspective, might be able to be added to our cars. Obviously we won't know this until this product is introduced at the end of this year.

Great article. Kind of what I thought they would be, a baby step in the right direction for the future. Like any new venture, it's going to take a few years to iron it all out. I knew there would have to be some sort of app certification for use in cars, to prevent things like, video apps, from being used while driving. I'm 100% in favor of that, the roads are dangerous enough!

·
Registered
85 Posts

First of all, the lightning end goes in the iPhone, other end is USB (which is already in our cars). Ever seen a lightning to lightning cable? Didn't think so...

Secondly, I'd rather work with Apple's software that is 100% compatible with iPhone and features an aesthetically pleasing design over Mazda's mess any day! The idea is a seamless experience.

Thirdly, there are very few apps that I actually need access to while driving, mostly nav, communication and music, that's what Apple has provided along with access to third party apps of the same nature. This is only the beginning too, they have indicated their intention to add more third party support as time goes on. I like this approach because someone is making decisions about if it's something that should be in a car and accessible while driving. The Android thing could be the opposite and therefore I completely expect to be driving beside teens playing Candy Crush on their Android Auto screens. (Although, to their credit, it sounds like Google will hopefully be taking more control over this than other aspects of their software... a page from Apple's book perhaps?)

Lastly, what exactly can Android Auto do that CarPlay can't? Reading through both websites they appear to be more or less the same thing; core services and select third party services streamed to infotainment screen with stripped-down, car friendly interface.

Android Auto
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Edit - it seems the tech media feels the same way about Android Auto not being able to do much (albeit with a positive spin, since obviously simpler is better for a car interface and both Google and Apple get that): http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/25/5843688/android-auto-doesnt-do-much-and-thats-a-good-thing

·
Registered
476 Posts
No way is Apple or Google going to have a system that allows the driver to watch videos or play games, while driving. If the government didn't come down on them (which they would), the lawsuits, from just a single death, would hammer them. They have legal departments that, I'm sure, have advised them of that. They'll have some sort of certification system to approve what's safe for drivers use. Of course that doesn't mean that someone out there, won't be trying to hack the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts