2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but I am finding the black carpet mats a bit of a pain to clean. I have replaced my front ones with rubber ones as they're so much easier to clean especially in winter time, with all the mud a crap that gets dragged in. Carpet mats look nice when new , but after that forget it.

Please, no comments from the trolls that have a problem with me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
We had a 1983 240D for 25 years. Never had mats in it, just the original carpet.

The passenger side in front once had some liquidy dish meant for church dinner dumped on it when I had to nail the brakes on the way. Cleaned that lot up.

Still like new when we sold it.

Ralph

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use a trunk mat purchased at Aldi, only a few dollars. It is large enough to fold up the edges a couple inches. It can be pulled out, and shaken to get rid of most dirt. It is also non slip, so things stay put much better than on carpet. At Aldi, automotive item are seasonal special buys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I can sympathize with cleaning dirty carpet mats. As an auto detailer, you have NO idea how bad some carpet mats are. Some of my clients only call me for a yearly detail. That means, no one has cleaned their mats since I saw them the year before. ��. There is a great carpet stain cleaner that I use in my business that I praise beyond all others. You won't find it at the auto parts stores along with all of the detailing supplies, however. You WILL find it at some grovcery stores, at Home Depot, or Lowes, and some hardware stores. It is called FOLEX. You may already know of this product. If not, look for it and give it a try. I am telling you, this stuff is the bomb! White 32 oz plastic spray bottle with purple lettering. I stopped using rubber mats except for the rainy season. But here in Los Angeles, the rainy season is only about 5 minutes long. I have only had my Mazda 3 i sport for about 6 months. I immediately replaced the cheesy stock mats with nicer ones from Loyds Mats. I bought two front mats only, in black with red piping and had them personalized in red. Yeah, the red letters get dirtry all the time, but I just spray a little FOLEX on the letters and they are good as new.

·
Grand Exalted Poobah
15 Posts
It is called FOLEX.
I can vouch for that! A long time ago, I had an apartment that had a mulberry tree over the front stoop. My roommate and I managed to track a lot of purple mulberries onto the carpet during our year there. When we moved out, I figured we'd lose our deposit. But Folex got that stuff right out. Didn't even have to hire a steam cleaner.

D7

·
Registered
156 Posts
Besides you having already stating the obvious (that plastic mats are far easier to clean than carpet), one thing that I find that helps is not wearing my shoes while driving. I treat my car like a home and don't wear my shoes. That said, if you're worried about keeping things neat and clean, stick to the plastic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used the factory carpet mats for a few months. Not great mats but the carpet looked ok. Then when winter came I knew they wouldn't be a good option. I bought a set of the Mazda rubber mats and they have been in ever since. I really like them and they are easy to clean.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been using Weathertech floor liners for the past 10 years on every car that I have owned. They cost less than the factory rubber mats and cover a much larger area. They are very useful during the winter months for keeping the salt and snow off the carpet. They are also very easy to clean at the car wash.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Nice that we each get to choose and we each have options. As Mignightsky228 noted, he is in the construction trades and he uses Weathertech (which I would do, if I were doing similarly). Others of us live in the city/suburbs, do "office work" or similar, are retired or whatever -- and choose carpet mats.

Even though I live in the country on 13 acres, I am in the latter group and LOVE my Canadian Premium floor mats (as detailed in my build thread) and as pictured here. It is worth it to me to clean my mats.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I installed Lloyds Carpets as soon as I could, love the look & feel...
Down here in North Carolina, sand is actually the biggest problem (our area is called the sandhills) regular vacuuming is all that's necessary
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought a set of Mazda rubber mats for my 3 the day I picked it up. They fit, look great and keep the carpet protected.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Besides you having already stating the obvious (that plastic mats are far easier to clean than carpet), one thing that I find that helps is not wearing my shoes while driving. I treat my car like a home and don't wear my shoes. That said, if you're worried about keeping things neat and clean, stick to the plastic.
You take your shoes off every-time you drive your car... really? Who does that.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Nothing to crticize a fellow member about. We each get to choose what is important to us. Some keep pure stock, others mod like crazy, others never wash their car, others wash it weekly, and all those differences are fine and good.

This forum is where I have learned a lot from other friendly members, both examples of their mods and technical information. And enjoyed their comraderie. I am happy to be here.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like the look and ambience of carpet vs plastic mats, but plastic has the obvious cleaning advantages - I believe it was @Road Trip that suggested the rinseable fitted carpets in the "which floor mats" thread, i purchased them a year ago and they have been great. they don't get filthy too quickly either, but easy to clean when the time comes...

https://www.findway.ca/f518-style-3d-car-floor-liners

there are the ones I have...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just one concern about driving bare foot. If you need to slam on the brakes or floor it to get out of the way, and you feel something sharp -- a pebble maybe -- can you sustain the pressure?

Extremely unlikely, I know, but weirder things have happened.

As for mats, I use OEM carpet mats in the warm weather, and WeatherTech mats in winter. The carpet mats get the occasional vacuum treatment, and the WeatherTech mats get hosed out now and then.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
As for mats, I use OEM carpet mats in the warm weather, and WeatherTech mats in winter. The carpet mats get the occasional vacuum treatment, and the WeatherTech mats get hosed out now and then.
@WheelMcCoy, that combo makes sense to me, as all of us experience things gettier dirtier in winter.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Uh, me. I do that. Even in the dead of winter when I would walk out to my car and it would be below 0F, I take my shoes off and drive barefoot. Been doing it for 28 years now.

Just one concern about driving bare foot. If you need to slam on the brakes or floor it to get out of the way, and you feel something sharp -- a pebble maybe -- can you sustain the pressure?

Extremely unlikely, I know, but weirder things have happened.
What if a 747 were to drop out of the sky and smash your car?!? Like you said, extremely unlikely, especially since you're removing the item that said pebble or sharp object would ride into the space on. You can what if until the cows come home. It doesn't happen. Heck. If by some miracle a rock gets stuck to the bottom of my foot, it's just a quick glance across the edge of the pedal to get it off. What if you get a rock in your shoe and it wedges in place right before you need to put the brakes on? Are you going to call time out so you can take your shoe off and remove the rock? If you ask me, it sounds more dangerous to drive with shoes on.

And yes, yes I would be able to slam on the brakes if said object somehow miraculously got into the space and somehow found a way to get between two vertical spaces. I've done much worse with my body.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts