2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
workdaddy
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today it was decided that I would add some protection to my hood and mirrors... So my buddy at infinite graphics and I wrapped my hood and mirrors in vinyl 'carbon fiber' auto wrap... I love the way it turned out... Here are a few pixs to share

·
workdaddy
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This weekend I spent some time doing some more vinyl. Wrapped the silver on my dash and door handles... went with a matte black. I love the way it turned out.. So instead of starting a "New Thread" figured I would share by BUMPIN' this one.
Also plastidipped my fog light surrounds when I installed the yellow vinyl overlays on..

I love how this car is always happy and smiling!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
@workdaddy did you remove the interior pieces in order to wrap them? I want to wrap some of my interior trim with carbon fibre. How long did it take?

·
workdaddy
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@workdaddy did you remove the interior pieces in order to wrap them? I want to wrap some of my interior trim with carbon fibre. How long did it take?

@BlueHaloGirl ... It did not take long at all to take off. I used heat gun carefully to get the wrap down in the switch holes (the switches unclip once the panel is popped out)
Here is a quick referance video I found on you tube.. The guy who did the video has a thread on one of the many mazda forums im on :) but video shows how to take it apart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6RGFVXWwE#t=63

The door handles just "Pop" out as well.. Flat head screw driver works...

Post a pic when done. I would love to see it :)

~Dave

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I recommend removing every piece that you can for wrapping. It will look far better if you wrap around the edges..plus last longer if not forever. It can totally be done without removing them but it involves cutting them out cleanly along the seams. This may or may not allow the vinyl to bubble easier over time but it doesn't look as clean IMHO. Take your time and research each piece you are to remove so as not to break anything but it's very easy. Plus by the time you are done you will know how to take apart the interior of your car rather easily. Also, stick to 3M brand. For Carbon Fiber look at 3M Di-Noc. It's the very best CF vinyl on the market. Good luck, can't wait to see.

@workdaddy
nice job, really looks clean! :thumbup 1:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I recommend removing every piece that you can for wrapping. It will look far better if you wrap around the edges..plus last longer if not forever. It can totally be done without removing them but it involves cutting them out cleanly along the seams. This may or may not allow the vinyl to bubble easier over time but it doesn't look as clean IMHO. Take your time and research each piece you are to remove so as not to break anything but it's very easy. Plus by the time you are done you will know how to take apart the interior of your car rather easily. Also, stick to 3M brand. For Carbon Fiber look at 3M Di-Noc. It's the very best CF vinyl on the market. Good luck, can't wait to see.
nice job, really looks clean! :thumbup 1:
False.
Avery has much better material and is much easier to use, they just don't have the brand recognition that 3M does because 3M is massive.
Source: I vinyl for a living.

That being said, 3M will suffice for small interior pieces. Just don't do your mirrors expecting it to last.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
False.
Avery has much better material and is much easier to use, they just don't have the brand recognition that 3M does because 3M is massive.
Source: I vinyl for a living.

That being said, 3M will suffice for small interior pieces. Just don't do your mirrors expecting it to last.
Your opinion is just that, your opinion.
@BlueHaloGirl
Don't take either of our words for it and Google it yourself to make your own call. I'm not the only person who thinks 3M is the best, and specifically for your car.

·
workdaddy
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All of my stuff is 3M that I have used .. we tried some non 3m on a friends hood because he wanted the red carbon color that was not available... it was really thin and did not lay nearly as nicely... but yes, agree with above notes... it is personal opinion... with using different brands I now know what I would (DO) use. :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I'll look at both options and see if I can even get one or both here. I was looking at stuff in CanadianTire but it looks cheap and I want it to look good.
I have one piece in particular I "Have" to wrap cause it drives me nuts. The horrible silver plastic around my shifter...I've looked at it and can't seem to see how I'd remove it to wrap it. Any ideas if it can be remove or if anyone has done it? I have an auto. trans. 2008.
I will be doing this in the spring when I can work in the driveway in the sun LOL...too bitterly cold right now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts