2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which intakes are CARB legal for the MZ3? I know corksport recently got the intake for the speed certified, but last time I talked to them they said it would probably be around a year, but they werent sure so it could be longer, until they will have the intakes for the non-speed 3's certified. I really want an intake but dont feel like waiting another year or more to get one. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah unfortunatly i live in California and came across the same issue. I dont believe that any intakes are CARB legal yet, but if you really want a new intake your car will not have to be smoged for a number of years (in Cali i believe its 6yrs) and you wouldnt have any issues until then. I have always used K&N intakes for my cars and they just released the SRI for the 2010 3. But i decided to wait till the price drops, but until then i just went with a drop in K&N filter element. Who knows, by the time the price lowers on the SRI it might be CARB legal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that the swap is easy, I was just wanting a carb legal one that way i didnt have to deal with cops being retarded about it. And K&N came out with one? I only knew of the typhoon kit which is illegal for on-road use in CA

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know that the swap is easy, I was just wanting a carb legal one that way i didnt have to deal with cops being retarded about it. And K&N came out with one? I only knew of the typhoon kit which is illegal for on-road use in CA
Yeah thats the one i was talking about. It is not legal for "road" use because it is not CARB certified as of yet. And as for the cops, i wouldnt worry about them having you pop the hood to look for an intake unless you car looks like a riced out honda with a fart cannon coming out the back. The mazda 3 doesnt really stand out to police in that fashion. That is unless you are driving like an idiot in the first place.:tongue:

·
Registered
40 Posts
corksport is now CARB legal i believe
Last time i had checked only the SRI for the speed3 had been CARB certified, not the 2.5 or 2.0 yet. But on the bright side i had emailed corksport a few months back and they said they were in the process.

·
Redlinerice
66 Posts
Last time i had checked only the SRI for the speed3 had been CARB certified, not the 2.5 or 2.0 yet. But on the bright side i had emailed corksport a few months back and they said they were in the process.
yeah and if speed cleared then the regular should be ok. apparently injen is working on it too

·
D/A
328 Posts
Manufacturers always say that they have "applied" for the CARB exempt status, but most never get it. It depends on how much the intake is needed to warrant the actual cost to get it done and since people still buy the product w/o the status, it even less on their minds to get it. The 2.0 Injen intake has been on the "applied" list since it came out, about 4+ years ago and Injen is the leading manufacturer for CARB exempt intakes(it's what made them so explosively popular when they first came out).

And unless you're running a giant loud exhaust, running around with an intake shouldn't give you a problem. So long as you're not causing any trouble or sticking out from the crowd(street racing, needlessly revving your engine, underglow kit, body kit) you wont get busted.

Oh and to answer your original question, no, there are no CARB exempt intakes for the N/A Mazda3 available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Cory,

We received your inquiry referenced below.

We have not started the process on getting it done for the non speed cars. After we have got a idea of how many more sales we get from it being CARB legal on the turbo cars we might look into it. It is a very long and expensive process to get done. The speed version took almost a year to get completed. So at this time we don't really have a date for when we would have it done.

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

Thank you,
Chris

That was my reply when I asked Corksport a few days ago about the CARB certification for the rest of us.

Ive wanted an intake for a while now so i think ill just buy one and if it gets certified yay, but if not ill have to take if off for smog but no big deal

·
Registered
59 Posts
Will corksport send out the carb approved stickers to people whom already have purchased the MZ3 SRI? I know it's not approved yet but I was wondering if anyone has gotten any SRI's in the past and received the sticker after purchase?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe the aem is carb legal not sure tho. But in worst comes to worst and you have to get a smog just put back your original stock air box and air filter b4 you go in for a smog.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts