2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Car Wash

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Melfqw 
#1 ·
Winter has driven me into those self service car washes, and after work one day I tried out the "Bubble Brush" on my car. The description said it should be pink, It turned out to be yellow but I thought it cleaned pretty well. I noticed that in the subsequent weeks I had some dried up yellow soap on my wheels. It was around the center hubcap and leaking down from that, and also inside the part of the wheels where you put lug nuts. I cleaned this multiple times, and it never came off. Today I decided to pop my wheel off(I've been hesitant with no previous experiance with locking lug nuts) and wash it off. I think that it is rust, I'll post a few pictures to show what I mean. The inside of my rotor where the inside of the wheel covers looks to be rusted as shit, along with the bolts the lug nuts screw into. Keep in mind the car only has 3500 miles.

Here is what the driping looked like

When I took it off

After some scrubbing

The rust after scrubbing

I guess, don't use this shit is the moral of this.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Everyone's hubs rust. Wirebrush the rust off, wipe them with some mineral spirits and hit them with a couple of coats of Duplicolor engine clear. Engine clear because the hubs get hot and it won't blister off. Problem solved. Did it to my MZ3 and the hubs stayed rust free for 2 years till I sold it. Probably still rust free for the new owner.

Reactions: Poliswag
#4 · (Edited)
Not stainless steel so unfortunately ya. Economy car.................:001_unsure: Wire brush on the end of a drill makes it an easy fix though. When I get new wheels I'll wind up doing it too. That kinda stuff bothers me also.

#8 ·
Get a sealer and wax that is made for rims. Will keep them protected for a while and grime just falls off like the rim is covered in crisco and it will do so with a more mild cleanser so you won't hurt your paint. Also never do auto matic washes. i had to hand wash my car twice this week in 25 degree weather cuz of all the salt from this damn snow :(

#10 ·
I was thinking the same thing. I NEVER use those brushes for that reason. They're just sandpaper on a stick. All the grit caught in that brush has the potential to do all sorts of nasty things to your clear coat.

During the winter, I just deal with a partially dirty car or break out the hose and do it myself at home. The pressure washers won't get all the road grime off, but they keep the salt levels down enough that I can rescue the car as soon as it gets warm.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.