2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Was hoping to tap into the community knowledge...

My Mazda3 with automatic transmission, started vibrating when auto shifting from 4th to 5th gear (as seen on the dashboard).

If you've ever driven stick-shift, vibration (stuttering, jerkiness) feels identical to the one one would feel if they skipped a gear while shifting (say by going from the first straight into the third (or any other time rpms are too low).

Observations:
- Transmission fluid level is fine
- Does not happen on every shift, but the frequency has increased over one week since it started
- More likely to happen if I take it easy on the gas. If I accelerate rapidly, it shifts smoothly through all gears.
- Vibration goes away immediately if I completely let off the gas. When I depress the gas again, it shifts smoothly
- If I keep the foot on the gas, vibration disappears after 2-3 seconds
- Vibration appears to happen split-second after the shifting has finished, and the car is in 5th.

This one has me puzzled. Is it mechanical? Is it some kind of sensor?

Thank you for any thoughts as to what could be wrong.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a number of steps fixed the issue. hard to say how much each one contributed.

in order:

Changed spark plugs
Cleaned MAF mass air flow
Cleaned injectors with Chevron
Changed coils (saw no improvement and changed back to the old ones)
Cleaned throttle body (this one finally did it)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have this exact same problem. Low RPM on 4th and 5th gear around 38mph in 4th and 44mph in 5th give me this shudder than i can manually shift over to a lower gear and get out of or just give it more gas till its out of that speed range. Its exactly as you described, like skipping 4th gear and going straight to 5th from 3rd in a manual when moving too slowly. When i drive aggressive, i never have this happen, only when i'm in traffic and moving slow. Seems like it would be a trans problem though, it doesnt really feel like the engine having trouble, but i will give this a shot. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, I must say that the solution was temporary. 6 months later still struggling with the same issue. Sat with my mechanic going over every OBD screen on his fancy scanner. there isn't a clue anywhere. clean bill of health. Treated the gas with heet as well just in case - wasn't it either. Getting such poor mpg now.

If you ever solve this, please post! What's the mileage on yours?

·
Registered
11 Posts
126k. Im getting 28mpg which seemed good to me. It seems like something off kilter with the driveline to me, because the engine feels great. It happens after its warmed up too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, worse when warmed up. Also worse on raining days. Making me think that maybe it is electrical. I'm barely at 70k. Mine went from 360 highway miles on a full tank to 300 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
going to do a drain and refill. Might pull the pan and change the filter. Going to try this lubeguard additive that is supposed to kill torque converter shudder. People at the mazda 6 forum were saying it worked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah, I must say that the solution was temporary. 6 months later still struggling with the same issue. Sat with my mechanic going over every OBD screen on his fancy scanner. there isn't a clue anywhere. clean bill of health. Treated the gas with heet as well just in case - wasn't it either. Getting such poor mpg now.

If you ever solve this, please post! What's the mileage on yours?
Problem is officially solved. I did a drain and refill of the tranny fluid. I got 4 quarts out. I refilled with lubegard ATF Protectant which was 10oz. then i put in the Lubegard Instant Shudder Fix. Then I did the rest with Valvoline Max Life ATF. So I dont know if it was the fluid or the additives, but everyone swears by the additives so I am going to give it the credit. My tranny fluid was straight black. I was only able to refill 4 of the 8-9 quarts that it holds, but it is pink now. 200 Miles and not one shudder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great! Thanks for your forum,
I have a 2007 Mazda Cx9 with this exact problem.. but every where I go they keep telling me I Need a New Transmission.. Mine Shudders In 5th (Auto) at about 60klm and sporadically in 4th

1 - 10 of 10 Posts