2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently bought a used 2011 mazda3 (2.0) with about 145K miles on it. I got it checked by a mechanic and he said it was good and had no major issues. After driving for a few months, I noticed that it vibrated vigorously at speeds between 55-65 mph. It subsides at any speeds outside of that range. When I googled, I got very vague answers regarding wheel alignment, flat-spots on tire etc.

Could someone with same issue or understanding of the issue share their thoughts on this?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi,
I recently bought a used 2011 mazda3 (2.0) with about 145K miles on it. I got it checked by a mechanic and he said it was good and had no major issues. After driving for a few months, I noticed that it vibrated vigorously at speeds between 55-65 mph. It subsides at any speeds outside of that range. When I googled, I got very vague answers regarding wheel alignment, flat-spots on tire etc.

Could someone with same issue or understanding of the issue share their thoughts on this?
Where do you feel the vibrations? Through the steering wheel, or in your feet/in your body?

If it's in the steering wheel I would look into getting the wheels balanced. I recently had my rim trued after hitting a pothole and started feeling vibrations in the steering wheel above 55 mph. Got the wheel balanced and it went away.

If it's through the entire body of the car it could be a number of things. As simple (and dangerous) as a loose wheel, or worn bushings in the stabilizer rod (vibrations get worse when turning), misaligned tires.

I would start with the balancing as it's the easiest and most likely the issue since it seems to come up at high speed. Maybe the previous owner hardly took it over 55.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Balancing is of two kinds, regular spin balancing and road force balancing. After having tires spin balanced on two occaisions, yet still experiencing vibrations within specific speed ranges similar what OP posted, both sets totally resolved with having those same tires redone on a Hunter Road Force Balance machine.

We have several threads on others who similarly have had success with using the HRFB process. Our search function can assist in finding those threads.

However, if that doesn't solve your vibration problem, next would be to check those things @rolanie3 specifically mentioned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts