1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AFAIK, there are 3 things that cause car radio interference
1. Atmospherics resulting in a weak signal
2. Geographical location resulting in a weak signal
3. Local interference (usually something electrical)

My car radio (FM) has been suffering from classic weak signal on and off for about a month.

Yesterday it was bad all day.
So, I parked the car in a random location, tuned the radio to my favourite station and observed a weak signal.
I moved my car and parked my wifes car in the same location and tuned her radio to the same station and it was crystal clear.
Yet later that day, for no apparent reason, my radio was crystal clear.

Today, after leaving it overnight, I started the engine. Radio signal was very weak, lots of interference. After 30secs or so when the revs died down the interference reduced, then when I released the handbrake, the interference reduced further.

That suggests to me that there is probably an intermittent problem with my radio or antenna, as the car is under warranty I should take it to the dealer for them to fix.
Of course, there is no guarantee that on that day, it will be misbehaving.

Thoughts?
UK, Mazda 3 2.0 Petrol.

·
Banned
842 Posts
You will have a interesting request to get MAZDA to warranty a radio signal claim?
I will be following this thread more for the entertainment and also interest what your Dealership and MAZDA does? IMHO>(*based on my freind who is an attorney that often handles auto warranty claims) You may get the the DEALERSHIP you purchased your MAZDA do a good customer one time radio replacement but even that I am dubious about? As for MAZDA acting on this even with a dealership submitted claim there is nothing *specifically worded how you described you problem under the warranty. Now I might recomend that you go to a dealership and find the like model of MAZDA to yours and ask to listen to the radio and see if it exhibits the same radio issues and if not use it for your claim and have the service writer make note of the observation.

On a side note...to improve anything electrical on a MAZDA (or most any vehicle) I recomend to install a grounding kit.

Ground kit 1.jpg
I often see members on this forum and many other forums often give advise about what they think and how they interpret the auto manufacture warranty coverage is. It is about ...oh 50% accurate.
I would also have your battery load tested.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Firstly, as you are in the UK, NOT in the USA, the laws and policies on new car warranties are different than those in the USA, and any legal advice offered by American lawyers is invalid.
The car has a warranty, take advantage of it. Let the dealer look at it. The problem may be as simple as a loose antenna wire. As you have also described a condition where there is interference that changed with engine rpm, there may be an issue that is not really radio related but causing problems with the radio function. That is clearly a warranty issue. Get it looked at by the dealer, you really have nothing to lose.

·
Banned
842 Posts
The Auto Manufactures warranties are written in the same terms in any country that the sale of their vehicles is allowed by that countries laws and authorized.
My attorney friend has handled sever cases having to do with vehicles sold in ENGLAND and GERMANY :smile2:

Normally on forums I would not be resolved to say a problems solution as a fix or not relating to a problem questions or advise and guess at anything without extensive Q&A but the description exactly as the OP outlined , the problem is NOT a lose wire.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Before the thread gets locked?
I want to apologize if I have offend any member on this thread! My responses are not intended to do so. But we all tend to type what we think and when people read the response they can not hear the voice and see the body language which are important part of communicating that is absence on the internet.

I am not trying to debate or argue with any member having to do with manufactures warranty and such. I have a marketer for my line or PERFORMANCE parts and he has a business attorney (both are my friends) that must always look at any countries my products are sold and their vehicle laws (registration inspection and allowable legal modifications regulations ) as well any Auto MANUFACTURES WARRANTIES that may be disallowed by the use of any none OEM part(s). So I am very aware of different warranties and their coverage pertaining to not only the USA but other countries through out the world. I do my best try to carefully choose my words when I help on forums, people with advise and try even harder to make them aware upfront of what to expect so they can get the best results with their issues and problems, at least they were fore warned what the outcome could be. I do this by suggesting ways to help support their case when approaching a dealership or service shops for warranty claims in any capacity. I think IMHO I have helped a few members already that have had good results or least become better prepared and informed when conducting their problems to the DEALERSHIP or for the matter independent Service Shops?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP here.
The warranty is a 1 year extra (RAC) warranty added on by selling dealership to give me 3 years warranty from the date of purchase. Apparently this is fairly common (UK). Though I haven't had a look through it to see what is covered.
I'm personally inclined to think that this is an antenna issue.
I am also inclined to swing by the dealership on a day the interference is bad and demonstrate it, also to ask to listen to the reception on another Mazda 3 that they have kicking about on the forecourt.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can you video/audio record (on smartphone) the radio's wacky behavior, as the revs wind up/ down and handbrake is released? Then show it to the dealer/ repair shop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I'll probably have to do that.
Yesterday I had the day to myself but the radio was working perfectly so no point in going to the dealership.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Yes, I'll probably have to do that.
Yesterday I had the day to myself but the radio was working perfectly so no point in going to the dealership.

anecdote
We have 2 Samsung phones. Both purchased brand new and the same model..both purchased the same time. Using them at our house my wife's cell phone always get 3-5 bars all the time and mine only gets 1-3. Samsung service department has look at my phone and when it is in there shop it gets a full 5 bars? So they said to contact the provider. The provider (ATT)says the cell tower is within a mile of my house and I have line of site so the problem is in the phone to contact Samsung? :frown2:

What does this have to do with anything regarding the topic of this thread......???

Nothing really or does it? :nerd:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know, its a bit like when your feeling a bit poorly. You suffer for a week or so, then decide you'd better see a doctor, so you book an appointment with your GP and then miraculously you feel better and end up cancelling the GP appointment.
Its a bit like that with my Madza 3, just the threat of taking it to the dealership is enough to make it behave itself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It occurred to me that, from memory, everytime I had bad reception on the radio, it was either we or damp.
The last couple of weeks here have been very dry. I washed the car earlier today and noticed that later, the radio reception was crap again.
I took a closer look at the antenna and gave it a wiggle, and low and behold, there is gap which water can pass through, see picture. I very much suspect that this the cause of the interference.

IMG_20180513_184923329.jpeg

Does anyone else have a loose antenna?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I popped down the local dealership and checked a few other Mazda 2, 3, cx shark fin antennas to see how loose they were. All of them are the same as mine - loose. I guess this is just the way it is and probably not relevant to being a possible cause of my random radio interference. Pretty shoody from Mazda though imo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would record your problem and bring up the video when discussing your warranty claim. I never had problems with reception with the Mazda3 - 2015 S Touring Sedan , Japan built, if that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts