2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 GT 6MT with keyless entry and push button start. So this morning it was terribly frosty, I turned the car on like I normally do when it's frosty: clutch in, start, take it out of gear with the e-brake engaged and get back out to scrape. Of course as normal the doors locked when I walked away. Scraped the car and tried to unlock the car to get back in. It wouldn't unlock with either remote key, or the button on either front door. Luckily I could get open the hatch (with the request button, it seemed locked to me), so I crawled in and manually unlocked the door with the rocker by the handle.

Anyone else seen this? Anyone know what happened?

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's designed that way. My owner's manual states that "The keyless entry system does not operate if the push button start is switched to any position other than off." Since you could still climb in through the back, it would seem that this applies to the request buttons (the round ones on the door handles) but not the trunk/hatch buttons (the rectangular ones).

I assume it's for theft prevention. Once the car is started, it will continue running even if you take the fob out, so anyone could jump in and drive away if the doors were unlocked. But a thief without the fob could not open the trunk/hatch as you did, so that way is safe too.

Maybe disable the walk-away lock during winter, or just leave the driver door slightly ajar while scraping? Or just use the actual metal key like "zs_3" noted. I like and use the walk-away lock too, so I could understand not wanting to turn it off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 GT 6MT with keyless entry and push button start. So this morning it was terribly frosty, I turned the car on like I normally do when it's frosty: clutch in, start, take it out of gear with the e-brake engaged and get back out to scrape. Of course as normal the doors locked when I walked away. Scraped the car and tried to unlock the car to get back in. It wouldn't unlock with either remote key, or the button on either front door. Luckily I could get open the hatch (with the request button, it seemed locked to me), so I crawled in and manually unlocked the door with the rocker by the handle.

Anyone else seen this? Anyone know what happened?
Hi. My daughter recently bought this as her first car. It locked her out this morning .tried ALL doors and spare key. Advice please.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If locked out of the car, the metal key that is located inside the key signal transmitter case should be able to open the door in the old-fashioned way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My girlfriend had both key fobs in the car (2014 sport auto) 1 with the battery dead. Started it and got out and some how the car locked. She swears she didn't touch anything. Had to call locksmith. Would love to know why it happened???

·
Registered
5 Posts
My girlfriend had both key fobs in the car (2014 sport auto) 1 with the battery dead. Started it and got out and some how the car locked. She swears she didn't touch anything. Had to call locksmith. Would love to know why it happened???
3 months after car purchase and the number of my locksmith has become my favorite in the contacts...
(I mean that I had so many times when the door didn't open that I called locksmith)

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 months after car purchase and the number of my locksmith has become my favorite in the contacts...
(I mean that I had so many times when the door didn't open that I called locksmith)
I don't know what you both do with your cars. It's strange. I was forced to call locksmith only once in my lifetime. Only because some son of a gun tried to steal my car and failed it. I caught him red-handed and he just ran away. His lockpick, however, was stuck in my door lock. It took some time for me to find a good locksmith, but I nailed it. Guys from https://www.locksmiths365.ie/ fixed my lock in 20 minutes and it costed me something like £70. Not too much, I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Functioning as designed. Car is on, key inside? Locks automatically and requires key to unlock.

Been there, done that myself.

It is annoying, but I guess they view it as a way to deter theft if left running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts