2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting occurrence... Without warning, the car was completely dead. No starting, no dash lights or running lights. After fiddling around with it, checking battery connections, etc. without any reaction, it spontaneously came back to life after a brief wait. It was OK for a while, and then it repeated. I replaced the battery, even though it was showing 13V, thinking maybe it was a bad (intermittent) cell. Still the same problem.
I brought it to my local garage. There was no stored error code. They ended up finding some possible corrosion at the battery cable/starter connection. So far it's been OK, so I'm hoping they found the problem. I live in New England where they sometimes use salt on the road, but this is something I haven't run into before.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm pretty sure that a bad engine earth was the cause of your problem. I would have checked the resistance between the negative battery lead connection and the block with a multimeter- should be close to zero ohms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure that a bad engine earth was the cause of your problem. I would have checked the resistance between the negative battery lead connection and the block with a multimeter- should be close to zero ohms.
Thanks. That's a possibility that I didn't check. If it happens again, I'll get out the multimeter again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts