2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Depends on how good you want the final repair to look. You will never completely match aged Mazda metallic paint at home. I've repaired very minor components in Soul Red- I needed 3 different paint mixes for the 3 different paint coats needed and I could still see the difference between the finished component and the remainder of the car.
Last time bird crap ate through the paint I had to get a complete rear door and adjacent panels repainted to get a good colour match.

Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
Did the metal get scraped as well as the paint?

Body shop.. good luck.
CK

Reactions: perseus

Registered
Body repair shop my only solution? Or can this be fixed at home? Paint was damage btw so PDR (paintless dent repair) isnt an option 馃槥
You could try to pop it back in shape yourself, and then if that long mark is all the way thru the paint, one option might be to add a spoiler. You'd still want to repaint to avoid rusting. That's a fairly roundabout solution though. I agree with CK and would have a shop do the repair.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try to pop it back in shape yourself, and then if that long mark is all the way thru the paint, one option might be to add a spoiler. You'd still want to repaint to avoid rusting. That's a fairly roundabout solution though. I agree with CK and would have a shop do the repair.
That's actually a pretty good idea! I didn't think of that. I was going to add a spoiler in the future. I might just try to pup it back up and use a touch up pen with clear coat then add a spoiler in.

Registered
What year is your Mazda? I have a metallic gray spoiler that's for a 2019+ I was going to try to sell at one point.

Super Moderator
Thats not going to come out easily . Its across a body line, ie the edge of the trunk lid. Thats going to be very hard to fix. Chances are the cost of repairs may not be that far off from replacement of the trunk lid.

Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
Another option is to keep an eye out on car-part.com for one in your color. Then you just unbolt the damaged one and bolt on the junkyard one. Given the depth and the fact that it crosses the body line, you aren't going to fix that without special tools and a repaint. I'd bet that there's enough change in shape of the trunk around the dent that a simple lip spoiler won't sit flat on the trunk.

I'd look on car-part and just swap it out. In the mean time, use the paint pen to keep it from rusting, and live with the dent.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another option is to keep an eye out on car-part.com for one in your color. Then you just unbolt the damaged one and bolt on the junkyard one. Given the depth and the fact that it crosses the body line, you aren't going to fix that without special tools and a repaint. I'd bet that there's enough change in shape of the trunk around the dent that a simple lip spoiler won't sit flat on the trunk.

I'd look on car-part and just swap it out. In the mean time, use the paint pen to keep it from rusting, and live with the dent.
Thanks for that website! I was originally going to just replace the trunk but couldn't find the part number and part. Yeah I'm sure I won't be able to pop it back up completely lol the dent made a lump underneath the crease.

Registered
Is a 2020 base model. I'll have to repaint it because mine is Sonic silver. How much are you willing to sell it for?
I'd do $50 +shipping ($180 New). This was installed:

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille

I can look at its condition later today if you're interested. But I think @RocketmanKarl is correct that without a perfect de-denting, you may have a problem getting a good fit.

The contrast of metallic gray against sonic silver might be interesting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd do $50 +shipping ($180 New). This was installed:

View attachment 283941

I can look at its condition later today if you're interested. But I think @RocketmanKarl is correct that without a perfect de-denting, you may have a problem getting a good fit.

The contrast of metallic gray against sonic silver might be interesting.
Oh that's nice. I've seen that one on ebay before, it looks way better from that angle... I'll let you know if I'm interested. I asked the shop for a quote to repair without the repaint and it was twice as cheap so I might go with that instead then add a touch up paint and spoiler (maybe).

Registered
Oh that's nice. I've seen that one on ebay before, it looks way better from that angle... I'll let you know if I'm interested. I asked the shop for a quote to repair without the repaint and it was twice as cheap so I might go with that instead then add a touch up paint and spoiler (maybe).
I think that's a good call. Good luck!

Registered
I'd check out your options for possibly sourcing a trunk lid from a wrecked 3 of the same model and color if you have to pay out of pocket... Harder to find when it's a newer year, but you might get lucky and they are usually pretty cheap. (I'd start an online search with salvage yards)

Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
I would assume that the body shop will sand the trunk lid down to bare metal about 2-3" beyond the actual crease. Not sure that will be hidden under the spoiler. They'll be welding studs into the crease to pull it out (no access from the backside because of the reinforcement skeleton), and then they'll have to knock down the bulges in the sheet metal around the crease. Then they'll have to create a flat surface with bondo. At a minimum, that corner of the trunk (about 25% of the whole thing) will need to be re-sprayed and part of the rear quarter as well in order to make the damage truly disappear. That's why I recommended getting a trunk from a wrecked one in your color, which should match perfectly.

BTW, if you have a body shop only do part of the job, they have very little motivation to do it right. If the end result doesn't look good, the paint shop and the body shop will point fingers at the other guy and say "it's his fault", and you'll have an ugly repair. If you're going to have a body shop do the repair, have them do ALL of the repair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts