2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a long read, but I do have a question at the end.

So I was driving into work this morning, still dark out and I was on the freeway, but coming to a transition between going north or south and I see some damage where the ramp splits. Like I said, it was dark out, so I couldn't tell all the damage, so I continue on my way to work. My off ramp is just right after this damage and I see something in the middle of the road and I can't avoid it (it has also been raining on and off, so the roads are wet) and I hit this object straight on and my car is dragging it. I thought maybe it was some piece of plastic and it would break up and go past my car, but no, I kept dragging it. I slowed down and pulled off to the side of the road and stop, back up and it drags a little bit more, but it eventually comes out from under my car. I see what it is in my headlights and it's a piece of metal, a huge piece of metal. So I'm thinking it had to have been from the damage back when I turned onto my off ramp, but I don't know how any piece of it could have gotten that far down the road from the initial damage. I park at my building, pull out my flashlight to look at the damage, the whole splash shield is missing, it ripped up part of my right wheel well splash guard and pulled my front fascia out a little bit (easy to pop back in), but also other damage to the front fascia. I just wanted to make sure my oil or tranny pans did not get punctured or any other damage, they did not, but there was a dent on the oil pan.

I had called the highway patrol to inform them of the damage on the freeway and my car, but more so the freeway in case there was more pieces on the freeway for other cars to hit. After work, I went back past the the area and there was a highway maintenance guy there looking at the damage. I forgot to look for my splash shield, but it's probably too damaged to use.

So now, I need to get a new splash shield, but from my research, it's saying there are two pieces to it.

Can anyone tell me if the splash shield for a 2013 Mazda3 Skyactiv hatchback is a one piece or two pieces?

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Kind of a long read, but I do have a question at the end.

So I was driving into work this morning, still dark out and I was on the freeway, but coming to a transition between going north or south and I see some damage where the ramp splits. Like I said, it was dark out, so I couldn't tell all the damage, so I continue on my way to work. My off ramp is just right after this damage and I see something in the middle of the road and I can't avoid it (it has also been raining on and off, so the roads are wet) and I hit this object straight on and my car is dragging it. I thought maybe it was some piece of plastic and it would break up and go past my car, but no, I kept dragging it. I slowed down and pulled off to the side of the road and stop, back up and it drags a little bit more, but it eventually comes out from under my car. I see what it is in my headlights and it's a piece of metal, a huge piece of metal. So I'm thinking it had to have been from the damage back when I turned onto my off ramp, but I don't know how any piece of it could have gotten that far down the road from the initial damage. I park at my building, pull out my flashlight to look at the damage, the whole splash shield is missing, it ripped up part of my right wheel well splash guard and pulled my front fascia out a little bit (easy to pop back in), but also other damage to the front fascia. I just wanted to make sure my oil or tranny pans did not get punctured or any other damage, they did not, but there was a dent on the oil pan.

I had called the highway patrol to inform them of the damage on the freeway and my car, but more so the freeway in case there was more pieces on the freeway for other cars to hit. After work, I went back past the the area and there was a highway maintenance guy there looking at the damage. I forgot to look for my splash shield, but it's probably too damaged to use.

So now, I need to get a new splash shield, but from my research, it's saying there are two pieces to it.
View attachment 274589

Can anyone tell me if the splash shield for a 2013 Mazda3 Skyactiv hatchback is a one piece or two pieces?
That is part of what seems to be a Quad-Guard attenuator assembly or something similar that would located at the top of off ramps where there are bridge walls, fenceline terminations, or any other impact hazard.

It got to where it was the same way it got to where it is now, under a car, either the car that struck the attenuator or somebody else that hit it and dragged it away. Either way, you might want to get in contact with the police and the DOT and file a damage claim. If the operator of the vehicle that struck the attenuator is found he will be ultimately held responsible for repairs to your car.
In the meantime, just how far did you drag that? Its not a small or light piece of steel. You should have stopped right away, not continue down the road as if nothing was wrong.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts