1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cant unlock hatchback trunk?!

2015 Mazda3i hatchback, 80k miles.

i went on vacation for 2 weeks.
after i came back, i cant unlock the trunk by pressing the key fob 'door open' twice nor the door unlock button on driver's side door.
i've tried several times with each.

i drove to my destination and turned the car off.
the door unlock button on driver's side door worked and the trunk was unlocked and could be opened.

what gives??

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
2015 Mazda3i hatchback, 80k miles.

i went on vacation for 2 weeks.
after i came back, i cant open the trunk by pressing the key fob 'door open' twice nor the door unlock button on driver's side door.
i've tried several times with each.

i drove to my destination and turned the car off.
the door unlock button on driver's side door worked and the trunk could be opened.

what gives??
How's the battery in the remote?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a 2015 3sGT hatch. The only way I know to open the hatch is to press the rectangular button on the hatch (see image below from owner's manual), and there's no remote open. Are you saying that you unlock all doors with the fob or the round button on the door, and then you press the rectangular button, and it still doesn't open?

As suggested above, the first thing I would do is replace the battery in the fob (they usually last only about 2 years). If the battery is low, then the sensor at the back of the car won't detect the fob and won't release the lock. It's a button type CR2025. You can get them for $1 each at Dollar Tree. It's easy to do yourself (search YouTube for an instructional video) or have a dealership do it for a small-ish fee.

If that doesn't work, then maybe the sensor or latch mechanism has failed, and you may need to have a dealer or shop check it.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How's the battery in the remote?
works fine.
and it doesnt matter.
the driver's side unlock button also didnt unlock the trunk.
any ideas? ???

Didn't know the trunk could be operated remotely. Must try mine tomorrow.
meant unlock the trunk.
will update thread title

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hatchback versions of the car don't have an unlock function for the hatch. The hatch is simply always locked. It is unlocked and opened in the single activity of pressing the rectangular button in back. There is no other unlock or open mechanism for the hatch using the key fob, or door buttons, or within the car.

Sedan versions (with a trunk, not a hatch) DO have a trunk unlock and open button within the car. But hatch versions don't.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hatchback versions of the car don't have an unlock function for the hatch. The hatch is simply always locked. It is unlocked and opened in the single activity of pressing the rectangular button in back. There is no other unlock or open mechanism for the hatch using the key fob, or door buttons, or within the car.

Sedan versions (with a trunk, not a hatch) DO have a trunk unlock and open button within the car. But hatch versions don't.
perhaps im explaining it wrong.

bottom line, i couldnt open the trunk with the rectangular button.
no matter how many times i press the key fob or how many times i unlock the doors with button on the driver's side door.

whats wrong???

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I purchased my Mazda3 I received 2 key fobs from dealer, do you have a second one to try out?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a similar issue on damp days, this is how it goes;
Unlock car
Walk to back, press button, boot (trunk) won't open
Open a rear door
Press the open button on the remote
The locks chatter like crazy
Walk to back, press button, boot opens

The numptys down the dealership can't reproduce this. I can reliably, everytime.

Go figure.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, I've seen the same problem on my 2016 Mazda3 iTouring HB. Sometimes it just wouldn't open when pressing the button on the back, unless I walked to the trunk with the remote ("Advanced Keyless Entry"). It was completely random and not reliably reproducible, but thankfully pretty rare.

Until I upgraded the firmware to 70.00.021 as part of AA/CP installation. Then it became 100% reproducible. Pressing the button on the back without a remote in my pocket just stopped working.

Now I'm on 70.00.100 and it works again (i.e., pressing the button works, as expected). So far 100% reliably, but I haven't had that firmware version long enough to be sure if it's really fixed or if it just reverted to the pre-v70 randomness.

·
Registered
245 Posts
perhaps im explaining it wrong.

bottom line, i couldnt open the trunk with the rectangular button.
no matter how many times i press the key fob or how many times i unlock the doors with button on the driver's side door.

whats wrong???
Ah, I see now. Yes, that makes the problem much more clear.

First, I would replace the key fob battery anyway just to be sure. It only costs $1 and takes 5 minutes to do. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I would have the dealership check the rear switch (the rectangular button), the rear locking mechanism, and the sensors that detect the fob. Maybe you'll be lucky and there's just a loose wire or small broken part.

Before you take the car in, use your phone or a camera to get video of the problem and show exactly what's going wrong. Then, even if the car works perfectly when you take it in, then you have proof of a problem. GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
So I would do a few things...Turn off/on and change around the various locking options on the infotainment. If you haven't tried the backup fob do so. Also, when replacing the battery in the fob, make sure to press all the buttons for several seconds to remove any current and power as you would do with your laptop computer or smartphone with removable battery. Remove the fobs from the close vicinity of the car for several minutes and let the car reset. Do a factory reset of the system. Disconnect the car battery for 10 minutes....finally but not least maybe your car battery is dying. As we now know....one of the clear signs of a dying car battery is the HUD not raising properly. Maybe the hatch not unlocking is another one we may discover in the future as another sign?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts