2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Mazda 3 hatchback, and as per the owner's manual my oil change interval is 4 months or 8,000 km

I noticed that the oil change interval for the 2017 model is now 6 months or 8,000 km

So I used mazda.ca email form to inquire as to whether my vehicle would fall under the same rules.

This is a cut and paste of the response that I got
"Thank you for contacting Mazda Canada regarding the maintenance schedule on your vehicle. Our service schedule is designed with Canadian driving conditions in mind, with regular service intervals at 8,000 km or every 4 months (whichever occurs first). Due to technical and technological advancements in our 2017 models, the engineers decided that the servicing schedule for our 2017 models could be different. All 2016 models and older models must follow the regular service intervals in order to be covered under warranty"

I know what I think about this, but I don't have all the facts.

So in regards to maintenance schedule, does any one know what the advancements are and how they affect the vehicle? And could you please explain how it makes a difference.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you're out of warranty you can use whatever interval and whatever oil you want.

If you're still in warranty it's worth it to stay within your prescribed schedule as the warranty compliance requirements are different for your year.

My guess is they either:
A) they legitimately just realized the oil could / would last longer
B) want to reduce projected cost of ownership (by reducing min number of oil changes req'd in a year)
C) want to align themselves with some other manufacturer's requirements to be more competitive

If it makes you feel any better I have to get mine changed every 10-11 weeks on average.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
For warranty, here in Canada, 2017 models get unlimited kilometer 5 year powertrain, not sure about 2016's. Definitely a huge incentive over the competitions 5-year/100,000km warranties. I have mine changed every 5000-6000km just to be safe. I've had mine about 3 months and already had 2 oil changes lol, I drive alot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For warranty, here in Canada, 2017 models get unlimited kilometer 5 year powertrain, not sure about 2016's. Definitely a huge incentive over the competitions 5-year/100,000km warranties. I have mine changed every 5000-6000km just to be safe. I've had mine about 3 months and already had 2 oil changes lol, I drive alot.
The 5-year Unlimited kilometre warranty started for 2015 models (and was applied retroactively to 2015 models sold before the warranty change).

Personally, I get the oil changed about every four months, but I also coincidentally drive about 8000km during that time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
An oil change is cheap insurance imo. I get it changed before the idiot light says to. Why not? When I had a 2014 accord the interval was 10k with no time limit. It always made me uneasy to leave even synthetic in that long. Especially since I am a spirited driver. 10 minutes of normal easy driving. Then I drive it like I stole it... within speed limit rules of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts