2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally left my headlights on at work today. I was pleased to find out about auto-off, which turned off the headlights for me after 30 seconds. Or at least I ASSUME it did, as I came out 8 hours later and started up fine.

The reason I have to assume is because I STILL didn't notice the lights were switched on until I was halfway home. Is there a way to have the reminder beep with auto-off enabled? The manual says I would have to disable auto-off in order to get the reminder beep... which seems silly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure I know you're exact problem, but mine doesn't have an "auto-off" feature, it has an "auto" feature. Turns them on when you drive and off when you turn off your car.

There's no reason to have it beep every time you turn off the car when it's set to auto. I don't see why it's silly to not beep at you when it's going to turn them off... There's nothing you need to do, so no reason to alert you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not sure I know you're exact problem, but mine doesn't have an "auto-off" feature, it has an "auto" feature. Turns them on when you drive and off when you turn off your car.

There's no reason to have it beep every time you turn off the car when it's set to auto. I don't see why it's silly to not beep at you when it's going to turn them off... There's nothing you need to do, so no reason to alert you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
They all have auto-off after 30 seconds of the ignition being turned off. If you disable this feature, you get the reminder beep instead if you leave the lights on.

I want both, andddd I thought my example was a pretty good reason for why I want it. Shouldn't have to drive halfway home in broad daylight with the headlights on because I forgot about them 8 hours earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
As far as I can tell the warning beep only happens when you get OUT of the car (ie the first time you open the door after shutting off the car) , not get back INTO the car, so I'm not really sure how it would help. Are you suggesting it would remind you to shut them OFF as you left the car so you wouldn't have to worry about it next time you got in?

YOu should notice that your dash is dimmed and whatnot if you're driving aroudn with your headlights on in broad daylight anyway.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I see what you're talking about, although, I have full auto and don't have to worry about the HL's. The dash indicator should have been illuminated. Sounds like the best bet for you is to disable the auto-off and go with the beep. Any big power drain on the battery, after shut down, is turned off after a certain voltage (or time) is reached, anyway, to prevent a dead battery. Voltage cutoff. So, with or without auto-off, you should never have a dead battery. I doubt it has both, auto-off and a beep, since driving with your HL's on isn't considered a bad thing and is mandatory in some countries.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I also have auto on/off and usually leave it on auto and set it to turn off light after 1 minute. However, there are times where I do turn on the headlights manually and forget to turn it off, it'll still turn off after a minute of shutting off the car. No warming tone. So the next time I drive the car during the day, I'll know if the headlights are on because the screen is dimmed and I'll know to turn off the lights :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
As far as I can tell the warning beep only happens when you get OUT of the car (ie the first time you open the door after shutting off the car) , not get back INTO the car, so I'm not really sure how it would help. Are you suggesting it would remind you to shut them OFF as you left the car so you wouldn't have to worry about it next time you got in?

YOu should notice that your dash is dimmed and whatnot if you're driving aroudn with your headlights on in broad daylight anyway.
Your second scenario is what he seems to want. I agree, it would be nice. Forget to turn them off and it beeps at you, so you turn them off so they don't turn on with the car next time. But lets say there was construction (at night :001_rolleyes:) and it was too loud to hear the beep, so you don't turn them off.

But seriously, even in broad daylight you can tell the lights are on. The dash/hud dims. Heck I even see my DRLs reflecting off the car in front of me during the day and check to make sure my headlights are off Lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not only that, but the reason they stay on 30 seconds after you get out of your car is to "light your way" to your house or apartment. IT's a feature.

This is one of those things that can easily be solved by getting into a habit. If you never want your lights on when you leave your car, just always twist the knob, even if it's off. Every single time you're getting out of your car, twist the knob. In a week or two you'll never forget again. Or, every time you get INTO your car twist the knob, if that's what you'd prefer. That kind of muscle memory happens pretty fast (to wit -- for the first few weeks of owning this car I ALWAYS went ot "turn the key" rather than push the button. After a few weeks... I now go to push teh button on my fiancee's car when I drive it, even though she has a key).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure, I can notice myself. Sure, I can get used to it.

My point is why do I have to? These features shouldn't be mutually exclusive and I can't think of a valid reason why they would be. I got my answer though, apparently you can't have both. No need to complain about it, just a bummer.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sure, I can notice myself. Sure, I can get used to it.

My point is why do I have to? These features shouldn't be mutually exclusive and I can't think of a valid reason why they would be. I got my answer though, apparently you can't have both. No need to complain about it, just a bummer.
You have to remember, these cars are designed for worldwide distribution, with only slight variations. Driving with the HL's on is mandatory in a big part on the world. The more they're custom built for a particular market, the higher the cost.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You have to remember, these cars are designed for worldwide distribution, with only slight variations. Driving with the HL's on is mandatory in a big part on the world. The more they're custom built for a particular market, the higher the cost.
I'm not sure that's true anymore. Today, it's all in the firmware. That makes it much cheaper to customize.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts