2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Can SkyActiv run to 200k miles?

46K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  zero_gravity 
#1 ·
I know this motor hasn't been out long enough, but would this motor run reliably to 100k/200k miles? I know the MZR motor can, but what about SkyActiv. Are there any high mileage people out there?

#4 ·
I think the 2nd gen mileage thread has someone up around 60K (maybe more, it's a big thread) but I haven't seen anything that high of mileage yet. I certainly hope to keep my '12 to 150K or so, maybe to 200K if I'm still enjoying it.

Like most people said it is usually not the motor that causes the issue, but I can see your concern with the newer higher than usual compression ratio of the SA 3.

#8 ·
Exactly. If it can't make it to 200,000 miles, I don't want it. :no:

...but I'm confident it'll make it there with a few minor issues, knowing Mazda. My biggest concern is rust. I intend on taking it way past 200,000 withought the faintest rust bubble, but something tells me that's a little too optimistic. :wink:

#10 ·
Im confident mine will make it to 200K. But I will probably end up selling her for the new Mazda MX-5/Alfa Romeo Spyder collaboration car when it comes out so I wont get to see that kind of mileage.

I had a NB Miata that I got up to 215K before selling her....she still pullled hard.

Mazda makes some good cars.

#13 · (Edited)
When on a Miata site last year ; there were a couple of Miata,s in the 700,000 mile range........ Used as pizza delivery cars .....lol. Of course their would be the usual maintenance stuff out there for the things that will wear out. Still thought that was pretty good. I have always had pretty good service . Can't say the same for the 04 Civic as the ones back in the 90's were much better .

Going to be tough to find any car going 200,000 miles (maybe km's) trouble free.

#18 ·
My 2012 Mazda.

I bought it with 12,000 Miles in 2013. I drive 130 miles a day to work and back home. I hit 192,000 today (12-6-18). I am hoping to hit 200,000 mid March. I have had the oil changed every 10,000 miles and tires rotated at the same time. The only issue that I have every had was the original camber setup of the car. I spend the $300 to change it and I stopped burning through tires every 10,000 miles.

#29 ·
Based on our last 323, which got close to 200,000 km, the paint will get so bad that you will want to replace the car long before the mechanical bits wear out.
In Australia , a full bare metal repaint is a $A10K job- which is terminal for any old car that's not either a classic or it means something special to its owner.

#31 ·
I have a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0l. 190,000km/118,060miles. Oil changes every 8000km/5000miles. The MAF failed (car wouldn't start/replaced with a wreckers one and so far so good) and the infotainment system touchscreen failed (had to unplug the digitizer). Other then that shes still purring. I wont be paid off for a while so she better last...

#35 ·
The answer is yes. The Skyactiv engine family has been proven to be very reliable. As far as carbon buildup goes, it's one of the GDI engines that doesn't have too much of an issue. I would suggest running the engine hard now and then. There has been a pretty well established pattern where those that run the engines hard now and then to get the engine/oil hot, see less buildup.

#38 ·
probably, but the worst that's going to happen is one of the plugs stops working and he gets some misfires. still worth changing as soon as reasonably possible.

can't remember the miles conversion, but i think it must be getting close to coolant? that's one i'd want done. old coolant stops inhibiting corrosion after a while. i'd rather my engine doesn't rot out from the inside.

the belt is a simple inspection visually and push on it for tension. replace as necessary, check the tensioner for bearing play.

other things i'd be regularly checking is things like CV boots for cracking and tears, play in bearings and suspension components, any oil leak from struts, stuff like that. if you find something in bad shape before it fails you can plan your maintenance instead of getting into a panic when it completely breaks or worse yet puts you off the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.