2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Why? There are plenty of high mileage SA cars out there and not a lot of issues reported with this.
Having seen how much trouble build-up has been for other DI engines, the Skyactiv has long exceeded expectations. 200k shouldn't even be anything significant.
Planning to keep this 1. And should that time come....we're ready.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2003 Mazda Protege5 hatchback (grandfather of all Mazda 3s!) has 167K so far. Engine runs great, only issue is burning oils. Need to keep an eye on the oil level and have one bottle of 5W-30 in the trunk all the time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Based on our last 323, which got close to 200,000 km, the paint will get so bad that you will want to replace the car long before the mechanical bits wear out.
In Australia , a full bare metal repaint is a $A10K job- which is terminal for any old car that's not either a classic or it means something special to its owner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0l. 190,000km/118,060miles. Oil changes every 8000km/5000miles. The MAF failed (car wouldn't start/replaced with a wreckers one and so far so good) and the infotainment system touchscreen failed (had to unplug the digitizer). Other then that shes still purring. I wont be paid off for a while so she better last...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0l. 190,000km/118,060miles. Oil changes every 8000km/5000miles. The MAF failed (car wouldn't start/replaced with a wreckers one and so far so good) and the infotainment system touchscreen failed (had to unplug the digitizer). Other then that shes still purring. I wont be paid off for a while so she better last...
FYI there is a recall for that touchscreen failure. mazda should replace it free of charge regardless of your warranty status. there was a manufacturing defect with some of them. recall is good for 8 years i think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The answer is yes. The Skyactiv engine family has been proven to be very reliable. As far as carbon buildup goes, it's one of the GDI engines that doesn't have too much of an issue. I would suggest running the engine hard now and then. There has been a pretty well established pattern where those that run the engines hard now and then to get the engine/oil hot, see less buildup.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Right now, I think it's just short of 220,000. Still runs like new. Not a daily driver anymore though. Work decided to buy me a prius prime so I drive that now. It's been paid off, and I'm thinking of selling it for 6,000.
Can you list some maintenance items that you’ve had to do over the course of those miles?
I’m at 90k on mine and still on the original spark plugs, belt, coolant, etc. only oil changes.

my belt tensioner has been leaking for quite some time though. Other then that, she’s been perfect to me, even with all the mods and revving it to 7,000 often.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Must Turbo this 3.... My 2018 manual for the 2.5L calls for plugs at 75K... you are most likely long overdue for plugs...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
probably, but the worst that's going to happen is one of the plugs stops working and he gets some misfires. still worth changing as soon as reasonably possible.

can't remember the miles conversion, but i think it must be getting close to coolant? that's one i'd want done. old coolant stops inhibiting corrosion after a while. i'd rather my engine doesn't rot out from the inside.

the belt is a simple inspection visually and push on it for tension. replace as necessary, check the tensioner for bearing play.

other things i'd be regularly checking is things like CV boots for cracking and tears, play in bearings and suspension components, any oil leak from struts, stuff like that. if you find something in bad shape before it fails you can plan your maintenance instead of getting into a panic when it completely breaks or worse yet puts you off the road.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Can you list some maintenance items that you’ve had to do over the course of those miles?
I’m at 90k on mine and still on the original spark plugs, belt, coolant, etc. only oil changes.

my belt tensioner has been leaking for quite some time though. Other then that, she’s been perfect to me, even with all the mods and revving it to 7,000 often.
Plugs 3x, coolant 2x, belt 1x, belt tensioner 1x, rear brakes 2x.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts