2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this motor hasn't been out long enough, but would this motor run reliably to 100k/200k miles? I know the MZR motor can, but what about SkyActiv. Are there any high mileage people out there?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Today, the motors are not anymore the problem. Usually all other parts of the cars fall off before the motor gets a problem. Most likely rust in generall is more of a problem than motors...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the 2nd gen mileage thread has someone up around 60K (maybe more, it's a big thread) but I haven't seen anything that high of mileage yet. I certainly hope to keep my '12 to 150K or so, maybe to 200K if I'm still enjoying it.

Like most people said it is usually not the motor that causes the issue, but I can see your concern with the newer higher than usual compression ratio of the SA 3.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had my '10 2.5 MZ3 up to 95,000+ miles before I traded it in and had no problems.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I'm sure it can no problem. The questionable part is the intake valves and how gunked up they are going to be later on.

·
Registered
124 Posts
any engine can with proper maintenance. my wifes daewoo has 170k miles and those cars are so cheap they are out of business
Exactly. If it can't make it to 200,000 miles, I don't want it. :no:

...but I'm confident it'll make it there with a few minor issues, knowing Mazda. My biggest concern is rust. I intend on taking it way past 200,000 withought the faintest rust bubble, but something tells me that's a little too optimistic. :wink:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Exactly. If it can't make it to 200,000 miles, I don't want it. :no:

...but I'm confident it'll make it there with a few minor issues, knowing Mazda. My biggest concern is rust. I intend on taking it way past 200,000 withought the faintest rust bubble, but something tells me that's a little too optimistic. :wink:
Obviously, I can't say how long my '14 3 will last, but my 1992 Miata was running just perfectly with over 200,000 miles and no rust when my brother in law took it off my hands a couple of years back. That car was tough. Drove it to its limits. Put a turbo on it for a while. (From 90,000 to 160,000) I only returned it to stock when emissions laws made keeping the turbo a big hassle.

I'm on my 7th Mazda and each of them was running perfectly and had no rust issues when I parted ways with them. (or I'm still driving them)

I've owned many different makes of cars over the years and I keep coming back to Mazda more than any other company. I just seem to get more value and fun for my money with them. Any with regular maintenance, they've never let me down.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Im confident mine will make it to 200K. But I will probably end up selling her for the new Mazda MX-5/Alfa Romeo Spyder collaboration car when it comes out so I wont get to see that kind of mileage.

I had a NB Miata that I got up to 215K before selling her....she still pullled hard.

Mazda makes some good cars.

·
avid bowhunter
21 Posts
I just posted in the high mileage forum. I just hit 90,000 on my 2012 and it's still running great. I just got my sri from corksport and the exhaust is shipping tomorrow (so says the site... it said that yesterday as well).

·
Registered
583 Posts
When on a Miata site last year ; there were a couple of Miata,s in the 700,000 mile range........ Used as pizza delivery cars .....lol. Of course their would be the usual maintenance stuff out there for the things that will wear out. Still thought that was pretty good. I have always had pretty good service . Can't say the same for the 04 Civic as the ones back in the 90's were much better .

Going to be tough to find any car going 200,000 miles (maybe km's) trouble free.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just switched from my '89 MX-6 GT (Turbo) with 323K miles on it - drove it nearly 26 years. I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Mazda.

I bought it with 12,000 Miles in 2013. I drive 130 miles a day to work and back home. I hit 192,000 today (12-6-18). I am hoping to hit 200,000 mid March. I have had the oil changed every 10,000 miles and tires rotated at the same time. The only issue that I have every had was the original camber setup of the car. I spend the $300 to change it and I stopped burning through tires every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have a 2014 that I bought new with not even 2 miles on it. I'm at 166k with 15-25k oil changes all synthetic. By the time I pay it off in 2020, I expect to have over 200k on it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts