2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Can anyone identify this thing? I was changing my oil recently and this pad plopped right out of the oil filter access panel. Seems to be filled with glass fibers of some kind. Each hole seemed to have machine screws but they have now since rusted out. My guess is that water has gotten behind where it was mounted. I don't think it's a big deal, but has anyone else encountered this?

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
149 Posts
I think that’s an oil filter heat shield. Or possibly just part of one. Obviously the grommets have rusted out, but that would be wrapped around the oil filter somehow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's not an aftermarket part.
I just had two fall out of my filter access panel today.
I wouldn't have started a new thread had I seen this one.

Looks like I'll have to visit the dealer to find out what they are.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm going to guess it's some sort of heat insulation on the underside of the exhaust header.
Close. I went to the Dealer parts guy who had no clue who asked the head mechanic: they are heat insulation pads attached to the plastic undertray. they are not available separately and that whole undertray needs to be purchased for $92 #B61K-56-110A "UnderCover" First, I'll see if I can re-fasten them to the tray before I buy the whole piece of plastic.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Close. I went to the Dealer parts guy who had no clue who asked the head mechanic: they are heat insulation pads attached to the plastic undertray. they are not available separately and that whole undertray needs to be purchased for $92 #B61K-56-110A "UnderCover" First, I'll see if I can re-fasten them to the tray before I buy the whole piece of plastic.
Interesting. I've pulled my undertray down many times for rust proofing and such. I have never seen such a part.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if the head mechanic used to work in sales.

The guys in sales know ALL the answers.

I was looking at a new car at a dealership one time and asked what "ET" meant on a clock button. The sales guy said without hesitation that it meant "Eastern Time." Of course, it was "Elapsed Time." :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe I'll get motivated this weekend & drop the pan for a look-around. Certainly they could be wrong. If I find it, I'll post pics

·
Registered
54 Posts
It won't be oil filter they only reach about 80°C, its got to be somewhere on the exhaust or turbocharger or near the CAT oe DPF.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe I'll get motivated this weekend & drop the pan for a look-around. Certainly they could be wrong. If I find it, I'll post pics
Any confirmation on this? I just did my oil change and found the exact same piece of "cloth" sitting on the oil filter access panel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That piece of thermal insulation ( not cloth, asbestos substitute ) came from between the exhaust manifold and some steel shielding off centre to the right hand side of the engine looking aft. Have you had the car from new or is it 2nd hand? If its 2nd hand somebody may have had had the turbo off or something in that area and been a bit sloppy when its been re -assembled. Its nothing to do with the oil filter. I was going to take my DPF off and noticed a similar piece of insulation.
There are a series of small pads that size around the exhaust area, back of the engine and are on for a reason as the exhaust can reach 500°C at times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That piece of thermal insulation ( not cloth, asbestos substitute ) came from between the exhaust manifold and some steel shielding off centre to the right hand side of the engine looking aft. Have you had the car from new or is it 2nd hand? If its 2nd hand somebody may have had had the turbo off or something in that area and been a bit sloppy when its been re -assembled. Its nothing to do with the oil filter. I was going to take my DPF off and noticed a similar piece of insulation.
There are a series of small pads that size around the exhaust area, back of the engine and are on for a reason as the exhaust can reach 500°C at times.
Thanks for the reply! I’m the original owner, so no aftermarket work has been done. What’s the easiest way to get access to reattach this piece of insulation? Can it be done under the hood, or underneath the car?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I’m the original owner, so no aftermarket work has been done. What’s the easiest way to get access to reattach this piece of insulation? Can it be done under the hood, or underneath the car?
Nobody has said if their car is petrol or diesel, mine is a M6 2.2d, but no doubt a lot of similarities as far as fuelling and other parts.
Take the undertray off and see if there is any missing under there at the lower reaches, if not its accessible under the plastic top cover and tinfoil heatshield. The one I saw I could only see the edge and it was jammed in. If its fallen out so easy then I would be looking underneath but close to the exhaust manifold ald down pipe, but on the bulkhead sides to protect the car from the heat. Though its unusual for the screws to rust and the washers.
What work has been done to the car in that area, possibly by the dealer?

I would recommend using a pair of ramps with wood extenders for a gentler slope. This way if your underneath its not going to fall on you if on jacks or axle stands.

The only way to learn is to have a go and keep your eyes open when you are looking around under the bonnet or beneath the car.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
792 Posts
interesting

1 - 18 of 18 Posts