2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched my rims to 20s inches and the TPMS didn't turn on...so the tire guy told me that the 2014 mazda 3 TPMS is the same as BMW ,that they use infrared TPMS. They even take the tire off the factory wheel to find the TPMS, but there was nothing. I been driving around on my 20s for 2 weeks now and they TPMS warning never turned on like the wheels were never switched.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your car uses an indirect tpms system. is it infrared? I don't know, I've not had the reason to look more into detail about what the system uses. Did you even think to look in the manual? When changing wheels /tires or pressure, there's a button to push on the dash.

edit: is it possible that the tpms warning didn't go over because your tires are at a higher psi than stock, and it wasn't until one of them dropped pressure that the system gave the warning?

·
Registered
146 Posts
There's no infrared or sensors on the wheels. it uses the ABS sensors to detect a low tire based on the way the wheel turns relative to the others.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There's no infrared or sensors on the wheels. it uses the ABS sensors to detect a low tire based on the way the wheel turns relative to the others.

^This

Not as accurate as the last gen system that had sensors at each tire stem, however there were many complaints on wheel hardware issues. I never had any problems (knock on wood) and it was nice the light would go out once the wheel was inflated to spec.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The MP3 was the best car I ever owned, and was pretty much bulletproof until rust took it's toll. I bought it in 2007 with 114k, used as my daily driver until 2011, my winter car in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013, then sold in November.

In better days:

When I got rid of it:

And then the 3 with the MP3 wheels:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts