2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to go after market for camshaft or can I just swap stock miata cams in and still see a significant increase in power? From my understanding the 2.0 engine is the same besides the camshafts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The cams on the miata have the same lift and duration as the 3, confirmed by Mat from OVTuning

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Not quite

The cams on the miata have the same lift and duration as the 3, confirmed by Mat from OVTuning
Yes, but not quite the same. This from Matt at OVT:

Mazda 3, ND intake cam : Identical
Mazda 3, ND exhaust cam: Identical lift, duration, lobe. NOT identical Fuel pump lobe. The mazda 3 uses the smaller quad lobe, the ND uses the larger quad lobe (exact same size as the skyactiv 2.5L) along with the same size fuel pump housing as the 2.5L.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, but not quite the same. This from Matt at OVT:
I said the cams have identical lift and duration. The information you posted says the exact same thing, except it brings up the fuel pump lobe, which has nothing to do with OP's question. You're absolutely right that they're not the same, but that's not what's being asked.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I said the cams have identical lift and duration. The information you posted says the exact same thing, except it brings up the fuel pump lobe, which has nothing to do with OP's question. You're absolutely right that they're not the same, but that's not what's being asked.
The fuel pump lobe? What are we talking about a SMC with a mechanical fuel pump driven by the camshaft, please!

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Do I need to go after market for camshaft or can I just swap stock miata cams in and still see a significant increase in power? From my understanding the 2.0 engine is the same besides the camshafts.
Reading comprehension is a good thing. Learn about it.

The OP asked if Miata cams could be used. The answer is yes for the intake, no for the exhaust. In any case there is zero performance benefit using stock ND cams in the Mazda 3.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am the one who had the first and only set Miata camshafts installed from OVT. They simply don't work. The cams are the same as stated, except for the larger fuel lobe that isn't compatible with the hpfp and housing in the 2.0. So no you cannot use them, and no there is no power difference. OVT custom cams are great though and can achieve almost 200whp coupled with an exhaust and tune. I have them in now and I'd recommend them.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Thats what i will end up doing most likely, I also have headers so I am hoping to hit 200 whp.
What headers? The are no headers currently available for the 3rd gen Mazda 3 SkyActiv cars that actually perform better than what is already on the car.

Current 2.0l cars are capable of nearly 200 hp with just and SRI and axleback.

·
Registered
660 Posts
What headers? The are no headers currently available for the 3rd gen Mazda 3 SkyActiv cars that actually perform better than what is already on the car.

For awhile OVT was testing some headers and raving about the gains, then they went quiet with it, maybe there were unforeseen issues or something, given the level of engineering behind the OEM headers - i know the early mazda 3 skyactiv's could not achieve the peak compression ratio due to the headers not fitting in the old engine bay, so I was curious about this so called header upgrade and potential problems vs stock.

I've been waiting to see if they release something though, as again, they were raving when testing a year or so ago. Maybe the poster above is one of the testers?

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
For awhile OVT was testing some headers and raving about the gains, then they went quiet with it, maybe there were unforeseen issues or something, given the level of engineering behind the OEM headers - i know the early mazda 3 skyactiv's could not achieve the peak compression ratio due to the headers not fitting in the old engine bay, so I was curious about this so called header upgrade and potential problems vs stock.

I've been waiting to see if they release something though, as again, they were raving when testing a year or so ago. Maybe the poster above is one of the testers?
Supposedly OVT was going to release a new long tube header a couple months ago (May) but there has not been much mention of it since then.:dunno:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mzr store headers and my tuner will disagree with you there. The car is noticeably quicker on both my pump gas tune and e54 tune. E54 its quite a different car from stock actually.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats what i will end up doing most likely, I also have headers so I am hoping to hit 200 whp.

Dude have you seen the cat on the stock headers? You can't really mean this lol. I am full exhaust and car is much quicker.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Mzr store headers and my tuner will disagree with you there. The car is noticeably quicker on both my pump gas tune and e54 tune. E54 its quite a different car from stock actually.
MZR? How old is your car? Link to these headers? If they are so good why is it nobody has ever heard of them?

Dude have you seen the cat on the stock headers? You can't really mean this lol. I am full exhaust and car is much quicker.
A ton of engineering went into that header design. It works better than anything offered so far for the SA motor.
There is an extensive thread on this forum documenting 198 hp at the crank. Lets see your numbers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 2.5l, yes. The 2.0l can only do 161whp with those upgrades. 181whp with those upgrade accompanied by racing gas. The 2.0l can't get anywhere close to that without real upgrades safely.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
The 2.5l, yes. The 2.0l can only do 161whp with those upgrades. 181whp with those upgrade accompanied by racing gas. The 2.0l can't get anywhere close to that without real upgrades safely.
The discussion was about tunes etc and what bolts on will work with a tune:
OVT custom cams are great though and can achieve almost 200whp coupled with an exhaust and tune. I have them in now and I'd recommend them.
With custom OVT tune 198hp was the number posted with just SRI and axle back.
No cams needed. http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...e/173866-ovt-adventure-starts-tomorrow-6.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
With custom OVT tune 198hp was the number posted with just SRI and axle back.
No cams needed. http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...e/173866-ovt-adventure-starts-tomorrow-6.html
Check Mat's website dude. He's been trying to break 200whp on the 3 since the Skyactiv came out, and he hasn't done it yet without serious upgrades. The highest he's ever gotten was 183whp I believe. You definately cannot make 200whp on the 2.0l with what your saying. Ask him yourself. (Photos from his website.)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
I am the one who had the first and only set Miata camshafts installed from OVT. They simply don't work. The cams are the same as stated, except for the larger fuel lobe that isn't compatible with the hpfp and housing in the 2.0. So no you cannot use them, and no there is no power difference. OVT custom cams are great though and can achieve almost 200whp coupled with an exhaust and tune. I have them in now and I'd recommend them.
Check Mat's website dude. He's been trying to break 200whp on the 3 since the Skyactiv came out, and he hasn't done it yet without serious upgrades. The highest he's ever gotten was 183whp I believe. You definately cannot make 200whp on the 2.0l with what your saying. Ask him yourself. (Photos from his website.)
Matt is the one who did the tune for Jeff....:dunno:
Did you read the tune thread?
168 whp corrected for 198 at the crank...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts