2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody messed with a cam regrind? Or are there any after market cams out there? (I own a 2.0L). I am going to own this car for the next 6-8 years or so while I'll pay off my HUGE student loans. I'd like to get to 200HP at the crank. (About 170 at the wheels?) 100hp per liter is a nice feel and can usually be done with smaller more efficient engines.

There was a company in so cal called webcam that did a regrind for me years back. It was a toyta and a good friend of mine owned a toyota shop that reprogrammed ECUs. With the more agressive cam and and good tune, we picked up 16 HP to the ground (on a n/a 1.5L).

Anybody tried or thought about this? Maybe headwork? Mill it a little, open it all up, get bigger/better valves.

I guess the big thing is tuning. If DP Tune can reflash(?) for stock set ups, do you think they can dyno tune one of these 3s?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothin?

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
i'm not gonna give a detailed reply to your questions because you expected a response within 4 hours.

if you had a shop do it for you in the past, take it to a shop.

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Lots of info here mostly toward the last couple pages (Cams)

A user by the name of "pinkcheese" had his cams reground by Crower for his turbo build here is his build thread (pinkcheese engine rebuild)

There is also a possibility that the Cosworth cams for the 06+ Miata may work but nobody has confirmed it yet and Cosworth has only tested them on the Miata. It all depends on the cam trigger being the same between the Miata 2.0L and the MZ3 2.0-2.5L (Mazda Performance Parts: COSWORTH NC MX5 Miata Performance Cams)

You can also go full standalone ECU and run the Duratec 2.3/2.0L cams. The cam position trigger is different and you will lose the VVT.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about a "weld on" of the existing cam? check out webcam....let me know what you think. they'll make a more aggressive lobe to your existing cam.

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Same process that Crower did for Pinkcheese. They hard weld and regrind a new profile on your stock cams. Its not uncommon and unfortunately really the only solution for the MZ3's unless your willing to shell out $600+ on the Miata cams in the hopes that they will work...

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Anybody got the balls to try it? Haha let me know. And did u like ur DPtune ECU flash?

I might get it done down the road. I wan't to have a spare engine sitting on my bench before I get into engine or F/I mods... I'll stick to bolt-ons for the time being... Haven't done DPtune's flash yet... probably this spring.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll take some cores and get them re-done. I just want to make sure i know how to get it tuned right. Maybe an SAFC II? Or the DP Tune folks?

With a regrind/weld up we would keep the VVT right?

I also need to try to dig up some engine specs. Just want to make sure that I don't have the valve smacking into the piston!

JackF- Why would you want a spare engine for Cams? Do you think it would be that risky? I'm new to the mazda world, but I've dropped mild cams in a few cars. With a good tune, it was great.

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
I'll take some cores and get them re-done. I just want to make sure i know how to get it tuned right. Maybe an SAFC II? Or the DP Tune folks?

With a regrind/weld up we would keep the VVT right?

I also need to try to dig up some engine specs. Just want to make sure that I don't have the valve smacking into the piston!

JackF- Why would you want a spare engine for Cams? Do you think it would be that risky? I'm new to the mazda world, but I've dropped mild cams in a few cars. With a good tune, it was great.

Yes you would keep the VVT with a regrind....

As far as a spare engine... I'm going to try to stay two steps ahead and plan for the worst. Plus I want to have something to tinker with. I can use the Cams for cores, get the Head Port&Polished...and get the info I need to either cross reference forged rods and pistons or have customs made.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you planning on a local junk yard? Or do you know of someplace in this magical world wide web that will ship?

jackf....you are like the 7th coolestest online person I know. :yes:

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Are you planning on a local junk yard? Or do you know of someplace in this magical world wide web that will ship?

jackf....you are like the 7th coolestest online person I know. :yes:
No where in particular just got to keep a eye on Car-Parts.com and call around to local junk yards every once in a while or watch E-Bay. Closest I've found in Denver so far is a Mazda 6i 2.5l I'd assume its the same engine with maybe some wiring harness differences but I'll have to do some research before I jump on that. It prices are running around $1000 to $2000 for the complete engine. Some junkyards will ship but freight is going to very expensive. Depending how far I'd say expect $100 up to $400 to a Business address with loading dock and or fork truck or to a freight terminal close to you. You will pay a added premium to get freight delivered to residential address. I get stuff shipped to where I work most of the time.

I'd like to know who these "other" online people are... :shuriken: LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are dozens of folks that import jdm engines in....popular us engines as well. I've just never seen a newer mazda engine. They'll have 4G63, 3SGTE, 2JZ...etc. Thought maybe you knew of some crazy place that had the mazda long or short blocks.

Happy hunting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts