2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to installing springs/struts, Racing Beat/Koni Reds, for what it's worth.

I bought the Eibach camber bolts which came with minimal installation instructions. There is a lock washer included with the bolt/nut combo, but I don't want to install it because of the little tab sticking out the back side. In the attached picture, it's the little tab on top of the washer. There is no slot or recess to accomodate the tab.

IMG_20191227_170624.jpg
Should I just grind it off or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Finally getting around to installing springs/struts, Racing Beat/Koni Reds, for what it's worth.

I bought the Eibach camber bolts which came with minimal installation instructions. There is a lock washer included with the bolt/nut combo, but I don't want to install it because of the little tab sticking out the back side. In the attached picture, it's the little tab on top of the washer. There is no slot or recess to accomodate the tab.

View attachment 274745 Should I just grind it off or am I missing something?
Don't grind it off. Just follow the instructions. To add negative camber, look at figure3, let the larger tab face the car, then adjust the camber by turning the bolt head. Once dialed in, hold the head steady while tightening the nut to torque specs.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect, thanks. My instructions were not that descriptive. I missed the part about lining up the tab with the cam lobe. All was gravy after that.

I appreciate the quick response!

Don't grind it off. Just follow the instructions. To add negative camber, look at figure3, let the larger tab face the car, then adjust the camber by turning the bolt head. Once dialed in, hold the head steady while tightening the nut to torque specs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Let us know after you get alignment how much camber you get. I have -1 with just the bolts. I plan on getting similar setup in 2 years and curious what I may expect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let us know after you get alignment how much camber you get.
I used the SPC EZ Cam Bolts (81260) from Tire Rack, FYI.

@PaulKim, I requested -1 degrees of camber in the front, and it came back with -1 and -1.1 degrees. Not sure if the alignment tech could have gotten more.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Make sure to increase the interval you balance your tires at with these setups.

I think the SPC camber bolts can get you to -1.25 camber. I asked for -1.5 camber and my tech said he got it there.

I wanted to adjust the caster to 6.5 too, but he said that wasn't adjustable. Maybe with upgrades it is, but I'm not sure on that.
CK

·
Registered
25 Posts
Make sure to increase the interval you balance your tires at with these setups.

I think the SPC camber bolts can get you to -1.25 camber. I asked for -1.5 camber and my tech said he got it there.

I wanted to adjust the caster to 6.5 too, but he said that wasn't adjustable. Maybe with upgrades it is, but I'm not sure on that.
CK
To adjust caster on most McStrut cars, you'll need to get a camber / caster plate. Ground Control used to make good ones, but with the trend for 6+ degrees from the factory, I see no major need to.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't like caster plates on a daily. The ones I have used eliminate the strut mount rubber which creates great steering feel but really increased NVH.

·
Registered
451 Posts
To adjust caster on most McStrut cars, you'll need to get a camber / caster plate. Ground Control used to make good ones, but with the trend for 6+ degrees from the factory, I see no major need to.
Man, i havent heard that name in a couple decades almost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts