2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
New M3 Skyactiv owner. Was wondering from those that own. I am noticing that when taking off from a stop there is a delay in the transmission engaging. If I step on the gas to quick it actually "clunks" into gear. Is this normal? It does not happen in manual mode. Nor does there seem to be any other shift abnormalities when the auto shifts 2-6. Any words of wisdom? Need to know if this is something I should bring to the dealer and have checked out.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Supposedly, the transmission goes into neutral when stopped. Once you press the gas, there is a delay until the gear engages - at least that's what I was told. I don't have the 'knock' into gear, but I take off the line like your grandmother transporting stemware, so I'm not aware of this. I drive for mileage (and fast cornering).

To date, in mostly city commute traffic, I am getting 39 mpg. The mileage is better than when I had a diesel Jetta - joy!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think the slight shock is normal? From what I understand, the transmission engages from auto to gears after 5 mph or something like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have noticed its a rather clunky shifting trans in general. maybe not clunky, but hard shifting compared to most old slushboxes. i can feel it downshifting gears as i slow to a red light. its not a bad trans otherwise.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The skyactiv drive auto trans locks the converter clutch at around 5mph, which is likely the clunk you're feeling. Next time you're getting an oil change or something, have the dealer take it for a drive to confirm whether it's normal or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can feel a slight jerk forward sometimes as I lift off the brakes from a stop. There is no hesitation, it's almost as if the transmission shifted into gear and the torque converter or multiplate clutch engaged. This makes sense if the Skyactiv-Drive does shift to neutral when stopped. I can also hear a slight change at a stop when changing the gear select lever from auto to MS mode. Another, reason I agree this car is sometimes in neutral at a stop. Once the vehicle is in motion each gear change is smooth and seamless.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I test drove a Skyactive before buying a non-Skyactive M3. I wanted the Skyactive for the high mileage, but after driving it I did not like it for the very behavior you are describing. Now I'm not getting the mileage with my non-Skyactive that you are, but when I press on the accelerator it responds like there is a direct connection between the pedal and the engine. That hesitation just put me off. But that's part of the trade-off for the great mileage.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The transmission shifts to neutral at a stop. Then when shifting from 1-2 you feel the torque converter lockup (as it is designed to do). It's how the Skyactiv transmission is designed. Nothing wrong with it...just was never explained to you likely because your salesperson did not know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just started noticing the same thing and unless I was just totally focused on the current MPG for the past 5 months, it just started or became significantly more noticeable around 5,000 miles. My troubleshooting shows it is not a stutter or grab after a 1st to 2nd shift, it is actually when trans is still in first that the stutter happens. If you accelerate from stopped in Drive and shift to manual as soon as you feel the stutter, you will see that trans is still in 1st. As I mentioned before, if this is torque converter lock-up, it is happening in 1st, and it has gotten more noticeable after 5,000 miles.

Going to take mine into dealer to get the complaint logged just in case and hear what the "pros" have to say about it.

Also going to ask about the lack of a transmission fluid dip stick and when and how fluid is supposed to be changed. In the hot "dry" heat of Tucson, I like to change transmission fluid early and am wondering what kind of job that is going to be.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I heard the torque converter locks up at 5mph, maybe that is some of what people are hearing/feeling?

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
The torque converter is used below 5mph solely for a smooth start from stop. Above 5mph it uses the multi-plate clutch. I've also noticed a slight tugging when I floor it from stop to ~6k rpm on 1st, but it's never bothered me that much. I should say, though, the rev-matching is just phenomenal on downshifts that I always leave it on the manual gate on twisty roads. :yes:

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows about this but is the i-stop technology in the US market? I know its available all around the world but if it is already here then that could be another reason of the sound.
If most of you who dont know what Im talking about here

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
i-stop is not available in the US.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts