2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I have looked EVERYWHERE and cant seem to find a solution to my problem or answer to my question. First off lets start with the fact that the install instructions for Megan Coilovers absolutely SUCKS. Damn near non existent! So after many hours of digging I finally found some setup advice for the rears which actually helped and got that end correctly planted. Now the fronts... I have followed every nugget of info and advice I could find and the fronts are kicking my butt!.. Problem is I can't seem to figure out how to get the front end down out of the clouds.. Front spring Preload was set to zero near as I could tell.. spring isn't wobbling around in the seats. Shock body is all the way down.. All the rings are one on top of the other.. But still have atleast 2 inches of air between the top of the tire and the fender lip.. What am I doing wrong?? Rears sit perfect with 1/2 inch gap... Fronts wont come down..:crying2:

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
OK... I have looked EVERYWHERE and cant seem to find a solution to my problem or answer to my question. First off lets start with the fact that the install instructions for Megan Coilovers absolutely SUCKS. Damn near non existent! So after many hours of digging I finally found some setup advice for the rears which actually helped and got that end correctly planted. Now the fronts... I have followed every nugget of info and advice I could find and the fronts are kicking my butt!.. Problem is I can't seem to figure out how to get the front end down out of the clouds.. Front spring Preload was set to zero near as I could tell.. spring isn't wobbling around in the seats. Shock body is all the way down.. All the rings are one on top of the other.. But still have atleast 2 inches of air between the top of the tire and the fender lip.. What am I doing wrong?? Rears sit perfect with 1/2 inch gap... Fronts wont come down..:crying2:
Show us what your front looks like currently (the strut body) - that will make it a bit easier to understand where the issue lies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.. Figured the best source for the answer was to ask Megan and the answer I got sucks.. Was basically told "Yeah we hear that a lot from the Mazda Guys, solution is you need shorter front springs"... Really?? So my solution.. Sold the Megans, bought H&R's. Fit right the first time, ride was 100% better because of the progressive springs, and you don't have to mess around with adjustments.. Better Product, Higher Quality, and actually designed for the car. So my advice for guys "Thinking about coilovers"... Save your money and spend a little more on a quality product. H&R's Rock!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well.. Figured the best source for the answer was to ask Megan and the answer I got sucks.. Was basically told "Yeah we hear that a lot from the Mazda Guys, solution is you need shorter front springs"... Really?? So my solution.. Sold the Megans, bought H&R's. Fit right the first time, ride was 100% better because of the progressive springs, and you don't have to mess around with adjustments.. Better Product, Higher Quality, and actually designed for the car. So my advice for guys "Thinking about coilovers"... Save your money and spend a little more on a quality product. H&R's Rock!
which h&r's did you get?
got any pics?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
2010-13 Mazda3/Speed version from H&R.. They only make one kit. Non adjustable reverse dampner with progressive springs. Front and Rear are height adjustable. Sits perfect now.. 1/2" gap between the top of the tire to the fender lip, could go even lower if I wanted. And the ride is 100 times better than the Megans. I know it's HARD to drop that big money... but budget coilovers give you what you pay for... a low dollar budget ride. I searched a lot and found a thread titled "Best suspension for Daily Driver". H&R takes the title.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts