2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently found a picture of a custom gauge set up. Normally I'd just be fine with the stock instrument panel and an OBD2 monitor for reassurance but since the Ultragauge Monitor has been out of stock for awhile now and the only other hardwired monitors I can find for it are upwards of $300, I'd rather just piece together a custom gauge setup to monitor Oil Pressure and Water Temp. Call me crazy, paranoid, etc. but I feel more comfortable being able to keep an eye on the logistics of my car. As I was browsing pictures of gauge setups, I came across this picture and it caught my eye.

I'm a huge fan of the gauge job that these guys did placing them on the dash and (I assume) running the wires between the front of the dash and the firewall/front windshield. It also looks like they may have vinyl wrapped the black interior pieces (that are constantly covered in fingerprints and scratches in my car) and the center piece on the dash. I was looking into an Ortiz Custom Gauge Pod but looks like the A-pillar might be formed underneath the dash, and if I can just get away with wire looming and tucking wires in front of the dash I'd rather do that. What are your thoughts on it?

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah not sure what happened there. Looked at this thread this morning and it wasn't the picture I put up. But once I hopped on the computer it was back to normal. Went ahead and mirrored the image to a third party image hosting site. It's the Boxza Racing MZ3 interior lol

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The big problem with that is the airbag deployment. If that bag goes off, who gets which gauge in the face?
You bring up a good point. I'm not too sure where at exactly on the dash the airbag would deploy from and that variable makes me want to stray away from the dash idea and focus on A-pillar. I suppose I could just mount the gauges on the A-pillar using the mounting cups that I was going to use on the dash to avoid that exact issue. This would be an easier decision if I had a guide showing me exactly how to get that A-pillar out. I haven't had much time to go out and look at it other than noticing it looks like it's tucked underneath the top of the dash right at the bottom of the pillar.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So going back to the drawing board I was brainstorming a proper place to put the gauges that wouldn't be too in the way but still visible. I thought about the A-Pillar but much like arathol pointed out, the idea of gauges being installed on/near an airbag deployment area kind of killed that plan as well. So, I decided to find a place to tuck away the gauges and the center console stuck out to me. The idea is to get two Turbosmart 52mm gauge mounting cups placed in the cubby area of the center console secured by 3M Industrial double sided tape, and drilling a hole behind it and feeding all the wires through said hole and out towards the drivers side area behind the dash. This would allow for the gauges to get mounted out of the way and not have to worry about an airbag shotgunning my gauges all over the cabin :)

I don't claim to be a photoshop wizard by any means, but this kind of gives a rough idea of placement. I figure the gauges will take up most of the area in the space, but I don't really use that space much aside for the USB charging ports, which I can still get to. I already have the Nav SD card installed and don't plan on removing it for any reason so I'm not too worried about that. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah here in Thailand many of the boy racers in their soot chucker pickups line the dash with guages, generally none are connected other than the lightbuld.

As for the passenger airbag depolyment, it will not launch those guages as they are mounted behind it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you really want to check on things once in a while and it's only a DD (i.e. not a track beast) I think you'd be better served by an ODB adapter and a smartphone app like torque pro or another ODB interfacing multi-gauge. Something like a scanguage would probably fit there a lot easier, require no mods to the car, offer more utility (can do more things), and could even be used in different cars. That's just my opinion though.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
A Scangauge is definitely cheaper than the gauges, but the OBD system does not monitor oil pressure as such. You will need to add a sensor and a gauge if you want to keep an eye on that.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've looked into UltraGauge and other stuff like that but the wireless ones run off of a bluetooth method of information delivery which my phone is bluetooth'd to my car and I'm not 100 percent sure I can do two bluetooth connections at once. Plus the wired version of UltraGauge is out of stock and has been out of stock for awhile now. I'm not too worried about getting sensors set in place for the Oil Pressure and Water Temp. One will just be an oil filter sandwich adapter with the sensor tapped into it and the other will just be splicing into my bottom radiator hose and installing the T style water temp adapter into it so I don't have to unplug any sensors from my motor.

I definitely don't have any crazy track beast plans for this thing but I just like having the reassurance of gauges showing me what my motor is doing and how it's running instead of just hoping a light comes on my dash in time before something terrible happens.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As for the passenger airbag depolyment, it will not launch those guages as they are mounted behind it.
You're probably right on that but last thing I need is my passenger getting a face full of gauge and me getting served a nice lawsuit because of it. :laugh2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts