2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my new tires in this weekend. Yay! There will be pics after! Since I am taking the wheels off anyway, and I still have under 100 miles on it (ie fresh clean calipers) I figure it would be a good time to paint them.

I only have 2 jack stands and more importantly am uncomfortable jacking up the entire car to paint all 4 at once.

So I was thinking of jacking up half the car, thereby removing 2 wheels at a time, painting them...leaving them to dry and then replacing the wheels and repeating for the other 2 wheels.

My question is this, would it be best for me to:

1. jack up one entire side of the car (so removing and painting the right front and right rear wheels, then repeating with left side)
2. jack up either the front end or rear end (so removing and painting both fronts first and then both rears)

Also, despite typically leaving it 24 hours to cure/dry, could I get away with say a 10-12 hour dry time before doing the remaining 2 wheels?

Thanks in advance!

·
zoom freakin' zoom
613 Posts
Either method to jack up the car will work, your preference. When I swap summer/winter wheels, I just jack up one side and do both and repeat for the other side.

As for letting it cure/dry, you may be ok with cutting that time in half. I'd just be very careful when mounting the wheels that you don't bump them. Why are you uncomfortable with jacking up all four corners? Personally I'd buy another pair of stands and do all four at once.

Here's a pic from when I painted mine.

Reactions: tastic

·
zoom freakin' zoom
613 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
If I were only jacking up two wheels, I would jack and paint on the same side. Other cars can only see one side of your vehicle at one time. It looks 'complete' :tongue:.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I'm doing it in a garage with the door open so they can only see the back not the sides! LOL!

If I were only jacking up two wheels, I would jack and paint on the same side. Other cars can only see one side of your vehicle at one time. It looks 'complete' :tongue:.
Thanks for the tips guys...I'm going to go front/back...if I have time the day/evening before the wheels arrive, I will do 2 wheels and leave them up overnight and when the wheels arrive the first 2 will have dried and I can be ready to go the day after they arrive. I was hoping to cut my layup time from 48 to 24 hours but maybe I'll just be patient to ensure success...it's my first caliper paint job.:blush 1:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today is the day! Rims came yesterday and I ended up taking the advice above and getting 2 more stands, lifting the front, then back to get it up on all 4. The OEM wheels are off and the calipers are painted and drying.

I finished painting at about 1pm so I plan to put the wheels on around midnight but not moving it, so we can take it out right away for our errands tomorrow morning to reconnect the TPMS and start the curing process.

I'm assuming that because I shouldn't be touching the surface of the caliper with any part of the rim when mounting I should be OK to put them on after 10-11 hours of drying and not actually driving it until about 20 hours after painting. Let me know if you disagree! :blush 1:

There will be a wash and wax (hopefully) tomorrow as well and then I'll take some pics!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AAARRRRGH! Literally on the last step I realize my socket doesn't fit the new rims and I need a thin walled 1.1" OD 13/16"...so I can only finger tighten...gonna have to wait until tomorrow/tuesday to go for a drive :argh 1: Ordered the right one from amazon prime for delivery tuesday but hope to borrow one from the building maintenance guy tomorrow if I can...at least I can admire my work sitting in the garage...the calipers are a very nice blue anyway! :blush 1:

·
Registered
127 Posts
awesome! did you paint with the calipers on the rotors or you took off the calipers? I would love to do this mod but am afraid overspraying on the rotor.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I left them on but taped the bajeesus out of them...even cut thin strips to cover all the nooks and crannies...the taping tookseveral hours to do but it made for much easier painting knowing I only needed to worry about even spraying and not overspray.

awesome! did you paint with the calipers on the rotors or you took off the calipers? I would love to do this mod but am afraid overspraying on the rotor.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! They are Enkei M52 17x7.5 in hyper black. It was a nice surprise when I got them that the Enkei symbol in the center is a pearlescent grey/blue/green that picks up those colors in the dolphin gray. Just don't settle on a milk carton to sit on while painting...my back is all f'd up! Totally...ouch...worth it...ouch...:blush 1:

Nice job!! Waiting to paint my calipers red. Also like those wheels. What are they?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts