·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

does any one knows a way to calibrate the outside temperature measurement
show on the dashboard ?
I own Mazda 3 2017, and there is about 4 degrees deviation on the measurement
of outside temperature from the actual value.

is there something that I can do ?

Thanks

Felix

·
Registered
90 Posts
Take it back under warranty?

If its consistently 4 degrees out sounds like the sensor or a bad connection not calibration.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sounds like a fun one to explain to the technician while they hold your car for 2 days to confirm or deny...or they may ask you questions about whether you have ever been diagnosed with OCD....if they give you "the look" maybe best to drive away and wait for another day. Honestly, I watch the thermo but have never really gauged it to actual. Also, make sure to read the manual because it will also list reasons for why it does not reflect true outside temp...I'm sure these are the same questions the techs will ask you as well. When you look at the manual you may decide it's really not worth addressing.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've always found that a car subject to a bright sun and hot roads will have temperature readouts that are a bit different than what they would be in the shade measuring ambient air temperatures. Another problem is what the "actual value" is at the car's exact location, and who is determining what that value is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like a fun one to explain to the technician while they hold your car for 2 days to confirm or deny...or they may ask you questions about whether you have ever been diagnosed with OCD....if they give you "the look" maybe best to drive away and wait for another day. Honestly, I watch the thermo but have never really gauged it to actual. Also, make sure to read the manual because it will also list reasons for why it does not reflect true outside temp...I'm sure these are the same questions the techs will ask you as well. When you look at the manual you may decide it's really not worth addressing.
Ask to compare it with any other similar car outside on the forecourt?

·
Registered
312 Posts
The following service bulletin is for various models regarding the dash temperature display for interest. Based on this I've never tried to adjust the tweak value to match the dash display exactly. I'm not sure if the dash display software does the temperature adjustments or if it is done elsewhere and the CMU is reading the same value.

https://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/09-015-11.pdf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always found that a car subject to a bright sun and hot roads will have temperature readouts that are a bit different than what they would be in the shade measuring ambient air temperatures. Another problem is what the "actual value" is at the car's exact location, and who is determining what that value is.
the thing is that i pass twice a day location that shows the outside temperature, in the morning and in the evening, the 4 degrees always there.
i compare to the smartphone showing, less accurate but still, 3-4 degrees...
so, i believe it's issue of calibration since it constant 4 degrees, if it was jumping it would be malfunction in the system.

it's kind of bothering me since it in front of my eyes, why should this be working wrong?

Thanks

Felix

·
Registered
570 Posts
the thing is that i pass twice a day location that shows the outside temperature, in the morning and in the evening, the 4 degrees always there.
i compare to the smartphone showing, less accurate but still, 3-4 degrees...
so, i believe it's issue of calibration since it constant 4 degrees, if it was jumping it would be malfunction in the system.

it's kind of bothering me since it in front of my eyes, why should this be working wrong?

Thanks

Felix
How do you know the temperature readout you are passing is calibrated properly and how it was calibrated to it's surrounding (direct sunlight, shade, grass, concrete, etc? My wife and I use two different local weather aps for the weather here in NYC on our smart phones, and coincidently ours were off by 4 degrees yesterday during a very warm afternoon sun in our back garden. As an example the readout they all show on TV and most of the apps is the temperature for Central Park, but the temperature varies among the 5 boroughs. I'm not giving you a hard time. My car is parked in a garage where it is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer compared to the outdoors. I'm always curious how quickly the auto temperature will adjust to the outdoors when I drive out of the garage....and it takes awhile. In some cases it will jump up/down 4 to 5 degrees at one time depending on the variant, but when said and done never seems to match.

I personally have never put much credence in a car's thermometer nor do I ever hear Mercedes Benz or BMW say they have the most accurate thermometers on their cars when watching their commercials.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts