2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I must admit that I was (pleasantly) surprised that they put the Mz3 ahead of the Golf (GTI). Wonder if the still unfolding emissions scandals had anything to do with this ranking. After all, they did mention that the 2015 and 2016 Golf TDIs have a "stop-sale" order on them....

Also puzzled as to why the Ford Focus was at #5 , behind the VW Jetta (??!)....

The 2016 Honda Civic has clearly won some hearts, although the new turbo is only paired with the (horrible) CVT (??!)....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think they include the GTI or the Focus ST on this comparison, or at the very least there was no mention of either powertrain or trim. To be fair our mazda 3 has no business going against those trim levels but it's such a good car that it wouldn't surprise me some magazines from doing it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Focus got hit due to the automatic transmission. My wife has a 2012 SE Sport Package with the manual. Damn good car.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You can't beat the combo the Mazda offers...design, MPG, handling, performance, etc.

I like the motors Kia offers: 2L 173hp & 1.6L T 201hp. Would have been nice if we had the EU motor also (at 165hp).

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can't beat the combo the Mazda offers...design, MPG, handling, performance, etc.

I like the motors Kia offers: 2L 173hp & 1.6L T 201hp. Would have been nice if we had the EU motor also (at 165hp).
I don't know if you've ever driven a Kia, but I drove my friend's Soul and the steering was awful -- it felt like the steering wheel was not attached to anything. I bet the Forte is not much different.

If you want a small turbo that's not a Honda, get a Jetta or a Golf, or Beetle even; and embrace those repair bills!

But still... get the Mazda!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't know if you've ever driven a Kia, but I drove my friend's Soul and the steering was awful -- it felt like the steering wheel was not attached to anything. I bet the Forte is not much different.

If you want a small turbo that's not a Honda, get a Jetta or a Golf, or Beetle even; and embrace those repair bills!

But still... get the Mazda!
I was just speaking strictly the motor specs and I already have a '14 Mazda 3!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've driven the Forte, Soul and a base Optima and it's not any better. It's horrible. Not much for steering resistance or road feel.

It doesn't surprise me too much on the Focus, that it dropped in the list. Originally, the new Focus was pretty good, but they haven't changed it since everyone else has stepped up their game in this segment. Also, the back seat in the focus isn't that comfortable.

·
Down 280 HP & loving it
105 Posts
I'll never own another Ford product. Had a nightmare scenario unfold with my 14 GT. I will say that the Focus ST almost had me. Shame the Recaro seats in that one are too narrow - like sitting the seat bolsters! Makes no sense - the Recaros in my GT were the nicest seats I've ever sat in, not even barring my old S2K and MR2s.

The new Mz3 is just a great little car, but I find the HP/TQ output lacking, despite the decent rating The car doesn't really enjoy high RPM revving. I find myself shifting at 4K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts