2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 2016 Mazda 3 i Sport. Just a base model, no addons, I prefer it that way, I can customize later. Anything I should know before going in? Any important questions I should ask? Is there any freebies that the dealer can throw in that I need to ask for i.e. free oil changes, swag etc.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
While tomorrow is an excellent time to buy a new car, the very last business day of the year is truly the best day of the year to get the lowest price, so if you do not find your dealership is tomorrow giving you the pricing you want, gently tell them that they need to be better, and as you literally are walking out the door, tell them you may be back, but you are going to see if any competitor brands have better "end of the year" deals. It is amazing how such a tactic works if you are polite and if you truly are willing to walk.

Personally I work on price reductions in large chunks, such as "you are going to need to lower your asking price by $500 for me to buy the car today" (or even $1,000) rather than the smaller stuff like free oil changes for life. Then as you get closer to your pricing and think that that is as far as they will price compromise, then you can tell them, "you are close, but need to also give me free oil changes for life for me to sign right now." Or, if any of the mods you are going to make that include Mazda parts, tell them that you will sign/buy right now if, in writing right now, they will sell all Mazda parts for the next two years at 25% off list -- and if you go that route, do not accept anyone's word on this; you truly must get that in writing by no one less than signature of the General Manager.

Lastly, if you are going to finance any part of it, in advance call around to banks, credit unions, etc., and know what rates they will give you on your financing, so that when Mazda dealership offers you "X %" financing, you know whether that is a fair deal or you are getting taken advantage of in this area.

Good luck Paul!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Might help if we knew the OP's location so that we could recommend a good dealer or known salesperson.

I got nearly $4000 off of my GT several weeks ago, in case that information is useful. It wasn't even hard work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in Las Vegas. I already did some haggling last week when I went for the test drive. They offered me 2000 off right away since I was interested in the last 2016 they have on the lot, so I'm getting it for 17,250. That is comperable to other advertised deals I've seen at other dealers in Vegas and elsewhere for the 2016 stock. I saw one dealer that was offering 4500 off the 2016s but the fine print led me to believe there is no way in hell I would qualify for that. My ultimate plan was to save up the whole amount and buy outright, but I'm still 8 - 12 months away from having enough to do that, so I'm dropping 11k down and financing the rest for 150/mo (yes my credit sucks). I have to buy now since my current car is looking a little green in the cheeks lately. The plan now is to make triple payments and keep the payment low so skating by for a few months will be easy, if I need to. Hope to have it paid off in a year. I didn't get anything in writing yet, but I didn't sign anything for them yet. I have no problem walking out the door if the deal starts to stink. I still have that other dealer in town to go see and thay have a bunch of 2016s left.

One more question. One of the big things that makes me want the 2016 over 2017 (besides discounts) is the handbrake. How does that little pushbutton parking brake, in the 2017s, save your ass if your hydraulic brakes fail? They took the "emergency" out of the emergency brake. Or am I wrong? Haven't researched that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I did just research the parking brake. Ok, so they still work in emergency situations, but I still would feel more comfortable grabbing that handle when in panic mode instead of looking around for a button to calmly push, LOL.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Los Angeles is close to you, and you'll get the best deal there. That's why I shopped LA instead of San Diego. If you're hung up on a parking brake, there's no reason for me to point out the many other benefits of the 2017s, is there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I got it. Even though I looked at several 2017s and a slightly used 2016 Touring, I still settled on the new 2016. I got them to knock off another 1000 so I got it for 16k and some change. They threw in a tire warrantee and some swag. I'm happy. Now I've got to get to learnin' how to hack and mod the sumbish.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So, I got it. Even though I looked at several 2017s and a slightly used 2016 Touring, I still settled on the new 2016. I got them to knock off another 1000 so I got it for 16k and some change. They threw in a tire warrantee and some swag. I'm happy. Now I've got to get to learnin' how to hack and mod the sumbish.
Enjoy the new car. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts