2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I will be buying a second hand Mazda 3 quite soon. The specs are as follows: ~70000 miles, 2010, TS2 trim, 1.6 Diesel engine (119g/km version), heated seats, cruise control and the other stuff that comes with that spec. I’m going to be paying around £5000 for it, although worryingly I’ve seen one that fulfils all these things for only 3.5k instead. I’m aware I’ll probably have to get the 75k service done with a DPF fluid refill etc. What things should I be looking out and be testing when I go and view these vehicles?

Thanks!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
usual stuff, never had a diesel so not sure on any issues specific to that but if it has auto trans check color, smell and texture of fluid on top of level. check the tires for abnormal wear indicating lack of repair or something that needs attention.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
They make a diesel? That's news to me.
yep, extremely popular in Europe. as many European countries charge tax based on engine size and emissions and diesel is a great way to make a small engine with good lower end torque for getting around crowded streets like many European countries have. plus they can make the engine small and thus less engine size tax. thank god we don't have that kind of fascism over here, oh wait maybe we need it then people would quit buying V8 trucks and land yachts they don't need just because they can. the bigger 4 cylinder gas engines we get stateside are more torque in the mid and upper rpm range for our wider, less congested streets where we regularly need brisk acceleration.

gas and diesel engines both have merit in the same model of car depending on market if the car is being sold in a crowded area with slower speed limits diesel is your best bet as you get your power lower and it likes to ride at lower rpm more.

gas is better when you need top end surge and brisk mid range acceleration like say 40-80mph where a gas car would outclass a diesel as diesel loses the torque curve above the lower rpm band and requires more shifts to get to the same speed than a typical gas engine of similar size. diesel will net you a small increase in fuel economy as well but personally I would not like the trade off, the more mid range torque of a gas engine is what I like in a small car. if you have a big truck and haul stuff diesel again is your bet as it will provide that low end twist to get the extra weight going

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Rdrokit, did you know our gas blocks are the same cast as the diesels? many of the components in the 04-13 non skyactiv cars are shared between gas and diesel versions, good for us all as using better materials for the diesel and keeping them in the gas engines will make the gas engines more robust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts