2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

I'm currently looking to buy a Mazda 3 and test drove a 2014 SP25 2.5L today. I'm worried about the engine idle sound (warm engine after test drive).

What do you guys think? Linked below are streaming videos.

I would book a mechanic check, however I'd prefer to save the money and avoid the car, if this is bad news.

I test drove a 2014 Maxx 2.0L a month ago and I don't remember this ticking.

Hood open - sp25enginesound1.mp4
Hood closed - sp25enginesound2.mp4
(Click on "No, thanks. Continue to view")

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 14's engine is much quieter. Sounds like some valve tapping. Also, how's the oil level? Does it have a lot of miles on it? I think a mechanic check would be well worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is a valve tapping very bad news? A high cost repair?

65K kilometres (40K miles).

I didn't check the oil level - I'm now regretting that I didn't - I've been planning to leave the engine to a mechanic check, but yeah would like to avoid shelving the dough for a mechanic if it's not worth it.

My 14's engine is much quieter
Thanks for that

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
41 Posts
That sound is more pronounced with yours than mine, but they all make it. Honestly, I had a trusted mechanic look at mine and he said it is abnormal and something is wrong. But then I went to 3 separate dealerships and checked 9 Skyactiv engine cars total and every one was slightly different, but all made similar noise and vibration. I would have a mechanic attach a high-dollar computer to it and check everything. My guess is that everything is still in spec, but it never hurts to check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

It does just seem to be the DI injectors and all the Skyactiv engines make this ticking typewriter sound to some degree. I'll check if I can get a mechanic with an engine computer.

checked 9 Skyactiv engine cars total
Would you know if any of these were as loud as mine? Obviously it's an amateur recording and hard to compare, but just wondering your opinion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 2018 2.5L sounds like a tractor when it starts up. After the idle kicks down, I do not notice much engine noise. Many engines make a ticking sound. If you are genuinely concerned, keep looking around. If you keep finding the same sound on the same type of car, then it is normal. Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think if it still makes ticking sounds after it is warmed up it is better to have it checked out. Obviously the cost of engine damage can be huge. First check the oil level once the engine is warm.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
41 Posts
Thanks.

It does just seem to be the DI injectors and all the Skyactiv engines make this ticking typewriter sound to some degree. I'll check if I can get a mechanic with an engine computer.

Would you know if any of these were as loud as mine? Obviously it's an amateur recording and hard to compare, but just wondering your opinion.
Honestly I would say no, I didn’t hear any as loud as yours is in the recording. But that may just be the recording itself picking up sounds different. I’m sure you can find a good mechanic to check it. And when I say a computer I don’t mean an OBD 2 scanner like they have at auto parts stores I mean something with a live data reader. Don’t talk yourself out of having it checked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2018 2.5L sounds like a tractor when it starts up. After the idle kicks down, I do not notice much engine noise. Many engines make a ticking sound. If you are genuinely concerned, keep looking around. If you keep finding the same sound on the same type of car, then it is normal. Good luck.
Thanks. I'll keep looking at other SP25s and make a comparison. I've only looked at two so far, there aren't many hatches under 100K km in my area right now.

I think if it still makes ticking sounds after it is warmed up it is better to have it checked out. Obviously the cost of engine damage can be huge. First check the oil level once the engine is warm.
Thanks I'll check this out.

Honestly I would say no, I didn’t hear any as loud as yours is in the recording. But that may just be the recording itself picking up sounds different. I’m sure you can find a good mechanic to check it. And when I say a computer I don’t mean an OBD 2 scanner like they have at auto parts stores I mean something with a live data reader. Don’t talk yourself out of having it checked.
Yeah the recording is quite tinny. Thanks for confirming the computer.

I'd never make an offer before a mechanic check. Just thinking of the money wasted, when the mechanic tells me the engine needs major work. Trying to talk myself out of that negative thought.

Thanks for all the good info guys!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Best thing you can do is stop guessing and find where the noise is coming from. Get a mechanic's stethoscope (if you still can) and hunt it down. Could be something very simple, could be more. All we can do remotely is guess.

And yeah those injectors can make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Seriously, I doubt it's piston slap. It's more likely carbon deposits than anything else. Lucas top end cleaner. 10 bucks on amazon gets you 10 tanks worth of additive. I don't make money on this. I just know it works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My old Mazda 929: The Hydraulic lifters wear and the oil leaks out and sounds like a baby diesel ticking after start up more than 200,000 + miles. No power loss. No problem. Used Rotella oil for less ticking, but that will not be recommended on the 2.5 direct injection engine. PAY for a mech check. Yes pay,,,, it's cheaper than insurance. Drain some oil if possible trans and engine. Look at it and smell it. YMMV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts