2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Mazda's come with a 3 year/36K bumper-to-bumper, 5 year/60K powertrain warranty. Worth it to get an extended warranty? Maybe yes... Maybe no... Depends primarily how lucky we are our "beyond warranty" major car repairs, and most of us are also just plain lousy in predicting the future. And we are not good in predicting our financial capabilities to withstand a major post-factory-warranty repair years down the road.

Let's say a 10 year extended warranty would cost us $2,000 ($28/month if financed). And let's guesstimate that a totally blown motor, rods coming out of the side of the block, would cost $5K installed. What if that happened to us at 51,000 miles, when financially we could not afford the $5k? Would we then wish we'd bought one?

But what if instead, we were very lucky and had no major repairs for the life of our Mazda. The $2k we earlier spent on our extended warranty would have been a total waste of money.

We each get to balance risk versus cost. A personal example: I do not have an extended warranty on my '17 WRX, nor am I getting one on our Mazda 3. But I did buy one on my C7 Z06, for if its motor blows up, it would cost $30,000 to replace.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
This is the first car I've gotten an extended warranty for, 7yr/100k. Don't remember the exact cost but I felt it was worth it especially with some of the tech stuff in the car, just a better piece of mind. I'm currently out of warranty and have used the extended warranty once, to replace the HUD. I could have gotten it replaced while I was under warranty but never had the time. I do have to pay $100 deductible tho for the plan I got.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The dealer pitched one at me when I went to pick up the car. I asked if it was a Mazda warranty, and she knew that was the end of that conversation.

For a car in this price range, I don't worry about it. I've owned a bunch of BMWs, however, and I wouldn't own a current model of that brand without a warranty in force.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There was a good consumer reports article a while back... Explained that overall extended warranty is only worth while for unreliable cars/brands. They continued that the fix for this is to not buy unreliable cars haha... Mazda and Mazda 3 has a good history of reliability. That's from an overall view... for some people they don't want to have unexpected costs so the reliable payment for the warranty avoids some suprises.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Given the reliability of these vehicles I would say odds are you are better off not buying an extended warranty. You can instead self insure (if you have the discipline) -- just put away the money you would have been paying each month for the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
In general expect to pay more for the extended warranty vs repairs over the same time frame. Remember, these exist to make money, not give it away.

Major repairs that would make this worthwhile for the Mazda are nearly unheard of. Maybe if it was a Chrysler :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2016 M3 GS HB was my first new car purchase. Financed over 72 months (paying off over 60 months though) so I got the extended warranty for 6 years, 120,000 KM. I won't have to worry every time I hear a weird sound or rattle. Oil, brakes, wipers, and tires (and gas), that's all I have to worry about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts