2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Hello everyone, i'm the owner of a new 2014 Mazda3 Touring, previous owner of a 2013 CX-5, just joined the forums and am happy to be here. My question is straight forward, does anyone know of anywhere to buy an OEM (or after market i guess) touchscreen? My touring didn't come with one, but i'd like to add a backup camera, but don't want to do the rear view mirror/camera. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am very interested in this as well. If there is a possibility to do the switch then i will be more then happy to do it (if costs are acceptable of-course) :thumbup 1:

·
Registered
93 Posts
@Hurricanes47 I doubt this will work for the 2014 mazda though :/ since they redesigned the interior and have the infotainment system placed in such odd place, unless there is a screen type replacement then OEM is the only way to go atm. That's why if it would be possible to just replace the regular i trim system for the s trim, then i would totally be on that train.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm sure, the wiring harness is totally different on the non-infotainment systems/car and it wouldn't be possible to add the infotainment system (which has the backup camera and screen) to a non-infotainment system/car (which doesn't have the backup camera or screen). Having the screen with only the backup camera, and nothing else, would have to be aftermarket. Of course, with plenty of money and time, nothing is impossible.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Could do a custom setup like a wifi camera mounted to the rear window and a tablet mounted up front. You would also be able to use the camera as a rear dash cam. Could help if someone hits you from behind and decides to run.

For mounting a tablet check out my Nexus Project

·
Registered
93 Posts
Honestly I don't care much about the back up camera, I can live without it. I was more interested in just a better radio with the BMW like controls. I loved it in my uncle's 5 series and liked how it was similar in the mz3. That's one of the reason why i want to get the 2015 instead of 2014 model. Still am 50/50 on waiting vs. getting the 2014 model because of the "MADE IN JAPAN" sticker.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Honestly I don't care much about the back up camera, I can live without it. I was more interested in just a better radio with the BMW like controls. I loved it in my uncle's 5 series and liked how it was similar in the mz3. That's one of the reason why i want to get the 2015 instead of 2014 model. Still am 50/50 on waiting vs. getting the 2014 model because of the "MADE IN JAPAN" sticker.
How is the 2015 different from the 2014? I have the infotainment and knob in my 2014 "Made in Japan" model.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How is the 2015 different from the 2014? I have the infotainment and knob in my 2014 "Made in Japan" model.
From what I noticed the most is the additional option in the base models. The most noticeable one is the radio. Instead of being base (no screen) to the one offered in your mz3 sGT. It will most likely be shy of few features but the basics will be there. Now anything iSport and higher will have more features to it then the 2014 version. I don't think it is being affected much from iGT and higher.

·
Registered
126 Posts
From what I noticed the most is the additional option in the base models. The most noticeable one is the radio. Instead of being base (no screen) to the one offered in your mz3 sGT. It will most likely be shy if few features but the basics will be there. Now anything iSport and higher will have more features to it then the 2014 version. I don't think it is being affected much from iGT and higher.
That's cool. Glad the lower models are getting a better system. Unfortunately with the new production models coming from a NEW plant in mexico it seems like the choice is Japanese 2014 model or play it safe and wait a year for the 2016 models. It will take them a little while to get the kinks out of a new production plant. Though I think the 2.5L cars are still being made in Japan.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's cool. Glad the lower models are getting a better system. Unfortunately with the new production models coming from a NEW plant in mexico it seems like the choice is Japanese 2014 model or play it safe and wait a year for the 2016 models. It will take them a little while to get the kinks out of a new production plant. Though I think the 2.5L cars are still being made in Japan.
Yea the new plant is only for the 2.0 mz3 and new mz2. Everything else i believe is still Japan but don't quote me on that lol That's what I am afraid of :/ Guess getting the mz3 sooner then expected. I don't want to wait till November or December for a better deal since the chance of having a MADE IN JAPAN sticker instead of MEXICO will be lower. :sad: I will think about it for the next two weeks and maybe just pull the trigger and try to get a decent deal on a 2014 iT by next week/end of month.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There is no reason to believe that the 2015 will have a better radio than the 2014. The Bose system will still only be in the same models and in the extra cost tech package. The iSport and iTouring will have the 7" screen because of the backup camera but not a better radio. It will have 6 speakers instead of 4. The Bose system has 9 speakers. I haven't seen the final spec, but the BMW like controls will probably only be in the Bose models.

Regarding Mexico vs. Japan, many of the parts will be primarily from the same suppliers at least for the next 2 years or so. And the location of suppliers in Mexico are used by other car manufacturers as well and are located close to the plants. There is also significantly more supervision in the Mexico plant vs. Japan. I would guess that, at least for the next few years, you might see better quality cars coming from Mexico than Japan. However, only time will tell.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here in Canada, we have slightly different models with the 2014s. Our GS model, which is the middle model of 3, already has the 7" screen for the backup camera, no Nav card included, and 6 speakers instead of 4, all non-Bose.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I could be wrong, but I doubt the lower end models will have the commander knob. The screen is installed primarily for the backup camera, which, is mandated by the government on all new cars by 2018.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I could be wrong, but I doubt the lower end models will have the commander knob. The screen is installed primarily for the backup camera, which, is mandated by the government on all new cars by 2018.
Again, my GS here in Canada has the 7" screen which is used primarily for backup cam does come with the commander knob. If I want to purchase the Nav card it's a $425 option, but can be added anytime. Without the knob, there would be no way to navigate anything on the touch screen unless the vehicle is completely stopped.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Again, my GS here in Canada has the 7" screen which is used primarily for backup cam does come with the commander knob. If I want to purchase the Nav card it's a $425 option, but can be added anytime. Without the knob, there would be no way to navigate anything on the touch screen unless the vehicle is completely stopped.
Thanks for the correction. Makes sense. Haven't seen the 2015's, which, is the first year more models will have the backup camera in the US market and I'm driving the sGT, which already has it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts