2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have over 1500 miles and 6 weeks on our new 2017 2.5 Touring AT. Since the start I've notice a bit of a burnt rubber/plastic smell come from the engine bay once the car is stopped and parked. Smell doesn't really enter the cabin during normal cruising. Smells much like burned clutch, but this car is an automatic (but it's a dual-clutch system right?). Haven't done any burn outs with the tires either. I know new car and plastic smell is common, for the first few weeks. But this doesn't seem quite right. Nothing else with the car's performance seems to be off.

Any thoughts before I take the car back into the dealership to look at?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Perfectly normal. Mine lasted about 5000k before it went away. it's common for the underside to be sprayed with various coatings. And it's common for the plastic parts to out gas.

So some of the smell could be "Cosmoline" especially around the hot muffler or some of it could be the wiring insulation "baking" a bit.

I bet the smell is mostly stuff they spray on for shipping to keep the rust at bay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine smelled like burnt brakes for a week after I got it. Even the one I test drove at the dealership smelled like brakes by the time we got it back to the lot. The salesman said it was the catalytic converter "burning in" and that it was normal and would go away. Apparently since the skyactiv tech heats the cat up so high so fast, it makes it smell.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah mine is 3 months old with almost 5k and I drove it hard just yesterday and it smelled when I parked. It will take a while plus you actually have to get it hotterm than normal to bake everything off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts