2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have about 2,000 miles on a 2013 Skyactiv 2.0. It's been consistently burning oil and I've been filling oil at the rate of about 2 - 3 oz per every two weeks (or about 4-5 oz every 1000 miles => about 1/8 quart per 1K miles).

How's your oil consumption rate?

The oil is Mazda 0w20 with moly. I was hoping that as the engine breaks in and settles, the oil consumption would go down, but the burning rate has been consistent for the past month or so. I know it's not leaking as I've carefully examine the engine from both the bottom ans well as from the top.

The consumption rate is a bit higher than I am used to in other cars, but I am sure the dealer will say that's "normal". I'll monitor if the rate drops or increases over time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would highly doubt it is smoking at a quart every 8K miles.. until you get to about a quart every 500 miles you typically won't see smoke (consistently anyway).

That is interesting though, I found myself not adding any oil between changes (at 5K) and it didn't seem noticeably below full.

Mind you I was doing dealer changes and did not monitor if it was slightly above full or any minute losses that you're describing. Might monitor it more closely now and see if I find anything similar.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Maybe cause higher compression? I haven't seen my regular 2.0 burning oil that much, I've not heard of issues with speed3's either unless they have some other issue causing the burning oil.

I'd ask your Mazda dealership or take it in and get it checked out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would try a different weight oil than 0W-20. I really think that is just spec'd out because Mazda wants to get the best MPG possible and 0W-20 oil is chosen.

I would use synthetic 0W-30 oil as it should be less prone to burn off with the thicker weight when hot. In all honesty a 5W-30 synthetic would not hurt to try either but if you want best start-up protection, the 0W-30 would be ideal.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No visible (or detectable) smoke... no leak.. No pending DTC code either....

My other cars do not appear to consume oil during 5K oil change interval.

The only car that I drove which burned oil was a junk For Taurus that required 1 quart every gas fill up and spewed white/blue smoke when accelerating and when engine braking.

I bought two cases of Mazda 0w20 so I am going to use that up before completely replacing the oil, but I may try to mix non-Mazda oil and see if that makes the difference.

As suspected, the service adviser says, per Mazda, "minor oil consumption" is a normal operation behavior and is not covered under warranty...Did not say what's the limit before it's not "minor" anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ran my 2012 Skyactiv 15,000mi on last oil change on Full Syn Amsoil, I dont think it used a drop, I never added any and checked it on several occasions and always looked right on full.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Your car isn't even broken in yet dude, chill out. It should settle down to about half that rate, which is pretty normal. With the Mazda 0W-20 I've dropped levels a little bit after 4000 miles, which seems pretty healthy to me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use amsoil and never had to add any additional oil on top of regular oci.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 2016 3sGT 2.5 skyactiv is burning a significant amount of oil. I did my 1st oil change at 3000 mi and have needed to add oil 3 times in about 5500 miles, for a total of 600 ml. I still have 2000 more miles before my next scheduled change, so I'll probably have to add another 200 ml, for a total of 800 ml in 7500 miles. That's A LOT of burned oil for a new engine. I used Mobil 1 0w20 EP oil and M1-108 filter, but I'm going to use Mazda's oil and filter for my next scheduled change and see if the consumption continues. Also, let me be clear... I know how to read the dipstick and I only add oil when it drops to inside the bottom dot, adding 200 ml brings it up to just shy of halfway between the dots.

Side note: I've been using Mobil 1 EP for 15 years and it's always served me extremely well, so well that I've used it exclusively in every vehicle I've owned. I will be shocked (and bummed) if it turns out to be incompatible with the skyactiv engine.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
37 Posts
I would try a different weight oil than 0W-20. I really think that is just spec'd out because Mazda wants to get the best MPG possible and 0W-20 oil is chosen.

I would use synthetic 0W-30 oil as it should be less prone to burn off with the thicker weight when hot. In all honesty a 5W-30 synthetic would not hurt to try either but if you want best start-up protection, the 0W-30 would be ideal.
Omfg, don’t do this. You don’t know better than the engineers that built the car. On an older vehicle this may have been OK to do. But ffs don’t ever listen to advice like this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts