2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been noticing more and more recently that my car feels bumpy while braking at low speeds. I got new brakes and rotors last year and have about 14k miles on them. It seems that warped rotors are the usual culprit for this, but they’re not that old, and I drive very conservatively and don’t do hard braking.

I’ve twice rotated my tires since then, and am always careful to torque the lug nuts to spec, so I’m not worried about having warped them that way. (I did have to get 2 tires replaced due to a flat though, so it’s possible that shop did something bad when with the lug nuts.)

Some other thoughts: the shop that did those tires said I needed an alignment, but it didn’t seem that bad, so I figured it was just an upsell. I’m also on my original suspension with 113k miles, and haven’t had any problems with it but might be due for a replacement. I was also wondering if it might be a balance issue with the tires. Could any of these things be the cause of this brake bumpiness?

·
Registered
99 Posts
"Warping" isn't actually a warping of the rotors, it's a deposition of pad material in an uneven thickness on the face of the rotors. I had an issue with my latest rotor replacement, and online I could see a few places that mentioned wheel lug nut torque was KEY to keeping your rotors true.

If possible, replace the rotors or have them turned or block sand them, then block sand the pads, reinstall, torque the lugs with a torque wrench, bed the brakes, re-check the lug torque after 100 miles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you use cheapy rotors?
They were Monroes I think, so yeah, probably. Still, I don’t care how cheap they are, they shouldn’t be giving me trouble after 14k mostly highway miles with no hard braking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I normally would suggest an alignment with a new set of tires so you don't prematurely burn out their tread with weird camber/toe settings. With 113k miles on the odo, when was your last alignment?

Baring that being the issue, sometimes pads/rotors are not bedded in properly and COULD cause some vibration.
Lookup the pad's instructions for bedding in and try to rebed them on a deserted country road. (Usually repeated stops from speed in quick succession, followed by a cool down period where you avoid touching the brakes). This is assuming there is no other funky stuff going on like stuck calipers and that there is indeed substantial pad life left on all corners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts