2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help please. I bought a 2012 Mazda 3 S grand touring hatchback. The dealer fixed the front bumper and said they blended with in the panel and cleared the whole panel. The paint is off and I think they painted the whole bumper. Now they want to repaint the bumper and blend into the hood and fenders which I totally don't want. I just want them to repaint the bumper to a better match. Can I get some opinions please. Here is a pic.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Why can't they just repaint the bumper to match the rest if the car? Seems silly to paint the car to match the bumper.
It is notoriously hard to paint a bumper to match without blending. Paint lays differently on plastic than it does on metal panels, this is a known fact. You will see brand new cars straight from the factory where the bumper does not match the car.

Pat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They said they will spend some time to get a better match I just don't want them touch other panels that have factory paint. I would be ok if it were to match like factory as those are off some but it just looks like to different colors.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They said they will spend some time to get a better match I just don't want them touch other panels that have factory paint. I would be ok if it were to match like factory as those are off some but it just looks like to different colors.
What sube said earlier, paint sticks to metal and plastic differently so it is hard to match sometimes. The body shop won't be repainting your factory panels, they are just blending them. Meaning they de-trim the panels, sand and reclear them at the sametime that the bumper is painted, then it all gets buffed to match. Ive worked in body shops, and this is extremely common. Pretty much every car that gets painted, gets atleast one blend panel.

Reactions: Johnny1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, so I took my car back to the shop and told them I only wanted the bumper repainted and the guy said ok. I picked it up yesterday and it's as close in color as what you get from the factory so I was ok with that. Now as I'm leaving the guy says if anyone asked from my company tell them the blending went well and said his people told him to blend it and didn't care what I said. I was pissed. So now i am not sure if it was blended or not smh! Is there anyway to tell? I do have a couple of rock chips on the hood at the bumper hood seam line that are still there. Would they have been painted over when blending? Oh I didn't get any paper work as the dealer I bought the car from is being charged.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
polarized sun glasses in direct sun light, you can see the paint variations very clearly.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
If you can't tell, why does it matter? You are paying zero attention to what everyone is telling you. It's damn near impossible to match metallic colors perfectly, especially silver. There will be different amounts of metallic flake in each batch. The paint also adheres differently to plastic. The only way to make it look right is to blend the paint.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
How the heck did you not get paperwork? This reeks of mismanagement on all parties.

It's not impossible to paint-match plastic to metal but because the age of the clearcoat is different on the new and old parts, even if it matches now, it won't match three years down the road as the clearcoat and the underlying pigments start to fade. Hence, the need to blend panels and apply new clear. It's not like the stock Mazda paint is especially nice or sacred. Just let the shop do its thing.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
How the heck did you not get paperwork? This reeks of mismanagement on all parties.

It's not impossible to paint-match plastic to metal but because the age of the clearcoat is different on the new and old parts, even if it matches now, it won't match three years down the road as the clearcoat and the underlying pigments start to fade. Hence, the need to blend panels and apply new clear. It's not like the stock Mazda paint is especially nice or sacred. Just let the shop do its thing.
It's still damn near impossible to mix up 2 separate batches of silver and have them match.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I didn't get paper work because the dealership was paying.

Good advice either way and I'm not sure what they did it looks good.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I didn't get paper work because the dealership was paying.
Demand paperwork always... better to have it and not need it than vice versa.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts