2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really noticed the rear bumper reflectors on the car as much as i do now that the windows are all tinted. They really stick out imo in a weird triangle shape lining up with the tail light. Id like to paint them solid black but that would look weird because it would stick out some from the black of the car (glistens almost a dark gray color in the sun) and would look like they were the wrong part. In response to that, im thinking about just smoking them so that some light still goes through (making them still work at night), but blend in with the car during the day.

Would a spray or film be best for this? I got my tints done at a really high profile place. They mainly do Porsche, Lambos, BMW's, some Maseratis, and Bentleys...the guy that did mine actually did Michael Jordan's car years back...anyways they said they wont do tail light films anymore because they don't last more than a few years and then ruin the tail lights and people always came back complaining about them. He recommended that i never do that to mine...any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'd use film. I'm wary of spraying anything on or near my car. Heck when I clean the interior, I always spray the stuff on a cloth away from the car then apply.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd use film. I'm wary of spraying anything on or near my car. Heck when I clean the interior, I always spray the stuff on a cloth away from the car then apply.
If i sprayed it i would be removing the reflectors to spray and then putting them back on.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
If you use the right kind of film, it shouldn't damage the plastic. I'm sure people have used the wrong stuff and had problems, but something like Lamin-X should be fine.

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
If you use the right kind of film, it shouldn't damage the plastic. I'm sure people have used the wrong stuff and had problems, but something like Lamin-X should be fine.
+1 on Lamin-x. Easy to put on, even easier to take off. :yes:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will lamin-x hold on such a small area? Also I checked autozone and they had nothing similar. I read online a few places that home depot carries it. Is this true? Or is there any other store in the chicago land area that does have it?

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Yes, Lamin-X should hold on reflectors. You can contact them to make sure since there isn't a pre-cut available.

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
There isnt a precut available yet for what he wants, but I would suggest that the smaller the part, the thinner film het gets. If you go to the custom section of the Lamin-X site, you can choose the thickness of the film. For smaller, more just-cosmetic lights, the thinner film will do just fine, and will actually cling better, since there is less surface to deal with. On a headlight however, since it is larger, and prone to more attack, you would wanna go with a slightly thicker one. I got the precut Yellow Lamin-x for my foglights, and its pretty thin, and looks and feels GREAT!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts