2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was washing my car today and noticed a bump on the sidewall of the front driver side Yokohama OEM tire.. assuming I should replace it due to impending blowout.. should I try to get Mazda or Yokohama to replace under warranty or just replace all 4? I only have 8k miles on them and the tread is still pretty good.. suggestions?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'd say replace it because yokahama and mazda will blame you! Just save yourself the trouble and buy a new one, or four!

·
Use the Search Button!
746 Posts
Sklnzfan24
I had the exact same problem happen to me last Monday. I had put about 1500 mule on the car since I purchased it. I took it into the dealership, NOT DIRECTLY TO THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT, and I spoke with the salesman I bought the car from. He took me to the service department and confirmed that it was a bubble and they ordered a new tire for me under warranty dive they boast on the car details it comes with the Yokohama tires. Everyone there was really great about it. I was concerned because my car was a demo model and I had put some decent mileage on the car too. But the dealership took care of it for me right away no problems at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had that problem too!!! I fought for about 3 weeks then gave up and just replaced them. Sounds like its hit or miss if they replace them or not... I would definitely fix it asap because sidewall failure results in really nasty blowouts, which can really really mess some stuff up and possibly hurt you.

·
Use the Search Button!
746 Posts
After talking with the salesman about it, he said that since it was on the details page (basically the big paper that is on your rear car window when you buy it) stating the tire size and tires that's why they were able to take care of it so easily. He told me to let you guys know that any reputable dealership would really take care of it no problem regardless and that you guys might try contacting Mazda regarding it if you run into problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
physically went to the mazda dealership after work and they said dealers don't fulfill tire warranties. would have to go to an authorized Yokohama reseller (merchants, Mr. tire etc) to get the it replaced. so I went to Mr tire and they said that a bubble on the sidewall is almost always caused by a road hazard and without road hazard warranty it cannot be replaced under warranty. So it sounds to me like I am SOL on getting this tire replaced under warranty. I think I will get a new set of Continental extreme contact dws tires

·
Registered
292 Posts
Called Mazda dealership.. no go on a replacement under warranty. Was able to get a quote on 4 Conti DWS installed for $640. Does that sound reasonable?
physically went to the mazda dealership after work and they said dealers don't fulfill tire warranties. would have to go to an authorized Yokohama reseller (merchants, Mr. tire etc) to get the it replaced. so I went to Mr tire and they said that a bubble on the sidewall is almost always caused by a road hazard and without road hazard warranty it cannot be replaced under warranty. So it sounds to me like I am SOL on getting this tire replaced under warranty. I think I will get a new set of Continental extreme contact dws tires

TireRack has 205/50-R17 Conti DWS' for 136 or something a tire which comes out to roughly 550 give or take all said and done but TireRack always has competitive prices.

If you were given a quote locally and 640 is the total bill out the door with mounting, balancing, and everything included, then I'd say thats a fair price.

What size tire are you getting though? Same size (205/50-R17) or something plus sized (225/45-R17)?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TireRack has 205/50-R17 Conti DWS' for 136 or something a tire which comes out to roughly 550 give or take all said and done but TireRack always has competitive prices.

If you were given a quote locally and 640 is the total bill out the door with mounting, balancing, and everything included, then I'd say thats a fair price.

What size tire are you getting though? Same size (205/50-R17) or something plus sized (225/45-R17)?
Yea, would prefer to get it locally.. $640 out the door. The shop gave me a quote of $138/tire plus mounting and balancing and tax. I calculated if I buy from Tire Rack that it would cost me more once I get someone to mount and balance them. Called a few shops and they were asking anywhere from $30-40 per tire to mount and balance.

Been looking for a place where I can sell my 3 good tires, but nobody seems to be willing to buy from an individual. I got offered $3/tire :shocked:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yea, would prefer to get it locally.. $640 out the door. The shop gave me a quote of $138/tire plus mounting and balancing and tax. I calculated if I buy from Tire Rack that it would cost me more once I get someone to mount and balance them. Called a few shops and they were asking anywhere from $30-40 per tire to mount and balance.

Been looking for a place where I can sell my 3 good tires, but nobody seems to be willing to buy from an individual. I got offered $3/tire :shocked:
I'd agree with you there. Much less hassle locally. Even with that other link with free shipping, he'd still have to pay to have his old tires removed, and the new ones mounted and re-balanced. Plus then u gotta get all 4 tires in the Mazda to take them there. It fits, and I even have a sedan, but who wants to get their interior all scuffed up :p:

All in all, sounds like you got a more than reasonable quote and from what I hear, you'll be thrilled with those ExtremeContact DWS. Everyone loves em. My father has a set mounted up right now. 225/50-17 and 245/45-17 in back if I remember correctly. I've driven on em in the summer and they hold their own. He was very pleased with them in the winter too, especially for not being a dedicated winter-only tire.

Good luck with those 3 tires!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts