2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bit of a journey to do yesterday. I had a 100 odd mile journey from Hampshire to Somerset (UK) to attend a funeral.
The Mazda 3 with the latest map update and software was called into action to get me to:
- the church
- the cemetery
- the reception

Firstly, the whole usability experience on operating the sat Nav is poor, IMO. But that's not the point of this post. For the church and the reception, I had a full address including postcode. For the cemetery I only had a road name.

Church - FAIL - Sat Nav directs me to the wrong part of town 2 miles away to some random road that didn't even have the same name

Cemetery - FAIL - ask the sat Nav to direct me to the nearest cemetery and it thinks the nearest one is 23 miles away. When I'm actually half a mile away and I can see the word cemetery on the map!

Reception - FAIL - again the sat Nav directs me to the wrong part of town 2+ miles away to some random road.

I had to resort to using my phone to find my way there. It's as simple as telling it where you want to go and it asks if you want directions you say yes and it tells you were to drive. Simple.

Next time I won't buy a car with built in sat Nav.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah it's not the best. Previously, the SD card is by NAVTAQ but now it's changed to HERE maps. Not sure if that's the same for Europe but the maps are garbage and full of mistakes.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's hardly the best designed or engineered satnav. I've found the satnav OK in the UK for postcode navigation but sometimes the route chosen is odd compared to TomTom I've used previously. I now check the route before committing to it. The warning of jams via RDS is useful but can have stale information since jams which have cleared hours before are still displayed. Several times I've been travelling on the M1 and the satnav shows me tracking off the slip road at each junction. It soon shows the correct position after I pass the junction. Perhaps there is sometimes an offset in the car's calculated position?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Built-in navigation is garbage on *every* car; they'll never be as good as Google Maps, Waze, or whatever your favorite smartphone nav app is. They'll never be updated the way the apps on your phone are, and they'll never get the engineering attention that phone apps get. This is why Android Auto and Carplay are so necessary.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To be fair, integrated navigation in ALL cars have a reputation for being poor. Google Maps and Waze are simply superior to car nav. Think of it as a backup option for main roads/populated areas.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
I still prefer to use my Google Maps on my iPhone as my guide (playing over Bluetooth) and the Nav as my visual for roads. However I do agree that the Nav is trash and I'm glad I only paid like $90 to get the card vs. $500+ for the dealer to install it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts