2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kind of pissed that after only a few days, I noticed a few scratches on the brushed aluminum next to the shifter on the center console and a scratch on the inside door handle.

I don't think their is anything you can use to remove the scratches, but is there anything you can use to protect the aluminum?

·
Insert Witty Title Here..
353 Posts
the silver console parts are like that too. it is getting on my nerves that all my silver is getting scratched up from dirt/zune sitting on it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not brushed aluminum since it is just solid with no effects, but I have the same gripe. I baby the interior and scratches are still showing up all over the place.

Initially thought about trying some mild polish on it, but I just got my Di-Noc in the mail today so it's just going to get covered up now :)

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
If it was actually brushed aluminum it would scratch so easy. but since it's just plastic al you can do is either live with or sand it down and paint it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the idea of Di-Noc. How much does that stuff cost and is if fairly simple to apply? I'm assuming there is just adhesive on the one side that sticks to the plastic.

·
Registered
471 Posts
the silver console parts are like that too. it is getting on my nerves that all my silver is getting scratched up from dirt/zune sitting on it.
like the Dr says...if it hurts, don't do it. ensure it's clean and set your Zune perhaps in your cupholder instead of on the silver plastic. that should help some. :)

·
353 Posts
ERRONEOUS! haha I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, where road construction is the norm. not getting dirt in your car, is like notstaring at a hot chick with her boobs exposed... I'm just sayin'... lol

·
Registered
750 Posts
My console looks OK, but my interior door handle is getting chewed up from my wedding ring. The plastic trim is pretty soft.

·
Registered
471 Posts
ERRONEOUS! haha I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, where road construction is the norm. not getting dirt in your car, is like notstaring at a hot chick with her boobs exposed... I'm just sayin'... lol
i know this sounds dumb, but if you care it might be worth getting a very small detailer's brush or something of the like to brush it off before you lay the Zune on there.

·
353 Posts
yeah, I need to figure something out... vinyl is fast becoming my solution...

·
Registered
295 Posts
The same method of painting the exterior emblems would work well here, or more like Derrick's approach with his wheels.
Sand, primer, sand, paint, sand, paint, clear coat, sand x3 (3 coats of clear followed by sanding using finer grits as you go)
You can even finish with a coat of carnuba. All the sanding will remove any imperfections for less than ideal paint finsh, orange peel, dirt etc....fish eye will require a sand back and repaint
Plus: Cheap
Plus: Durable
Plus: Easy to remove any scratches that WILL occour( Same as you would with a scratch on the body, Megs 105,etc..)
Plus: Wide color choice
Plus: Small pieces
Plus:You can take a Mulligan anytime down the road and re-do
Con: no CF looks or pattern (s)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts