2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post and first thread as a new user. I have a 2012 hatchback and while the aux jack still works the two USB ports in the center console armrest have stopped working. Ive had the car for about 8 months now and they worked when I got the car but as of last month they will no longer work to charge my phone with a brand new cable.

Is this common and is there any way I could fix this without taking it to the dealer? I have yet to go as I know they'll want way too much money to diagnose and fix it so a DIY option is what im looking for, even if it means buying a new part online somewhere

·
Working Class Hero
3,570 Posts
Did you try using the old cable again, just to verify?

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an Anker cable that I bought explicitly for the car and it was working in the car until up to month ago, my brothers Apple cable doesn't work anymore either yet they both still work out of the car so i can only think the the USB outlet in the car itself is whats broken. Also, the outlet swivels around in the socket for some reason so I would imagine the wires are no longer connected but I was hoping to see if someone else has had a problem before recklessly tearing it out.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
I think that part is a separate part from the rest of the center console and can easily be removed with a small screwdriver. (my 11 GT only has the aux port usb would be great and I don't even know if it works as I never use it) but there was another thread on here talking about swapping the usb/aux from a 12 up to a 10 and one user was sure you could easily pop the area these ports are in, out and just rewire it up (I think its just a generic pigtail, like most things in a car) and you should be able to pop out the broken piece and just buy a new piece with a pigtail and plug it in and snap it down and be good to go. "rewiring" should not even be needed. most likely the usb port died (it has tiny little wires in it) and either a wire at the plug head has come loose or the plug head itself broke. and is this car a bose factory stereo or regular? that makes a difference in a lot of the parts

here is the link to a similar issue Broken AUX in jack (Mazda3) | Overclockers Forums)
(this guy got something stuck in the AUX jack) but this will show you what I mean, look at the last post on the thread, it has a pic of what the back (that is behind the labels and plastic) of your usb/aux ports should look like. it should have a similar connection the white connector on the back of that circuit board that will allow a new usb port to be "plug and play" what more than likely happened to yours is water or other liquids got in and ruined it, a solder point came loose on the circuit board, or the usb port has come undone from the circuit board either by a bad solder point, a bad wire or just wear and tear. but that pic should give you an idea of what the plugs look like and what the part you need to replace will generally look like as it should be very similar to the aux port. if you can get the center console apart enough to get that part out it should not be more than $100 I would even think less then that to get another and put it in yourself

call zoomzoomnation.com they have given me a lot of help nowhere else had info for. its actually a mazda dealer named CJ Wilson mazda near Chicago, but their phone parts guys have always been friendly and helpful to me. they will probably need your vin and some other info on the car such as motor or bose/non bose to get the right part/part number to you. they always get me down to just the parts I need and will even give you the mazda part number on the phone so you have everything needed. if they find what you need, you may just want to order from them, I have found many things on their site to be cheaper then anywhere local could get me, even after shipping costs. one such item was the passenger headlight assembly, mine has the fancy active HID system well it was leaking water and they got me the correct part numbers I needed for everything I would need to replace and had an excellent price on them. they wanted $666 for the headlight assembly $716 shipped (large heavy box) the cheapest I had found prior to that was $500 for a "refurbished" one from rockauto aka junkyard crap I had already had issues with. and $900 for a new one with extra shipping on top. $1300 from the local mazda dealer that I had the original issues with (warranty paid for me ordering and replacing this thank god, long story so we will leave it there) but they got me setup with the right part the first time, where very kind and had the best prices I could find anywhere, plus they shipped it all very quick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts