2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was messing around with friends and my transponder key for my technology package broke, and i'm wondering if i can even get it replaced, maybe someone had this problem before?

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
how did it break? any pics? I thought I broke mine once when I dropped it and it broke in half but it just snapped back together.

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk

·
Code Mode
18 Posts
eeek. weird how it would break. i thought they are pretty well built. one of our keys went through a full washer and dryer cycle. came out blazing hot. it still works :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Off topic but it fits... kinda lol

I was looking at my switchblade keyfob and noticed that it is made by Mitsubishi. It says it in the cavity that the key folds into.. anyways..
back on topic.

I dropped my key once and it broke in half. I was like WTF because I didn't even drop it that far. I looked at it and it just popped right back together and contenued to work..

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter has had an M2 for about 2 months. The key fell out of her purse yesterday and broke. She said it snapped back together, but car would not start after. Her spare (plain) key worked. The dealer said no warranty on the fancy key, $400 to replace. :argh 1: What a total scam... you can buy an iphone for that! How complex can the electronics be?

Any cheaper alternatives?

·
1,091 Posts
Yeah, I think you might have forgotten how a warranty works- if the part becomes defective by no fault of you, then it would be eligible for warranty coverage. But if it was broken? You gotta cough up the cash.

As for cheaper alternatives, check with various dealers in your area. This is one area that I'm technically glad the aftermarket doesn't really exist for- else it'd be easy and cheap to get a key and steal your car.

This is why we can't have nice things.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My daughter has had an M2 for about 2 months. The key fell out of her purse yesterday and broke. She said it snapped back together, but car would not start after. Her spare (plain) key worked. The dealer said no warranty on the fancy key, $400 to replace. :argh 1: What a total scam... you can buy an iphone for that! How complex can the electronics be?

Any cheaper alternatives?
I doubt that there are any cheaper alternatives (at least for advanced key push button start systems). It sucks, but there's not much else you can do except pay up or start using the backup key that comes out of the transponder.

But it's not really a scam, if Mazda can sell 15 million advanced key systems per year like Apple can with the iPhone, I'm sure it would be much cheaper (see economies of scale).

·
Registered
164 Posts
I doubt that there are any cheaper alternatives (at least for advanced key push button start systems). It sucks, but there's not much else you can do except pay up or start using the backup key that comes out of the transponder.

But it's not really a scam, if Mazda can sell 15 million advanced key systems per year like Apple can with the iPhone, I'm sure it would be much cheaper (see economies of scale).
there might be a cheaper alternative...

when i had my golf, i broke the key (which had an internal chip), found out it was $450 to replace so i used the vallet key for the remaining 6 months of ownership

incidentally VW/Audi was sued in a class action lawsuit about the price of replacement keys

anyway - i remember finding keys on ebay, and elsewhere onilne - that were "original OEM" keys - but were "blanks" - so i guess you could buy the key for about $90 or so - then take it to the dealership and have them program and cut it for you for an additional charge - in the end it was cheaper, by how much i dont know as i was lazy and just used the spare key

as these cars are so new it might not even be an option - but it might be worth looking into

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any cheaper alternative to make duplicate keys?

I have a '10 MS3 (non-tech) and I lost one of the two original keys lately. I called the dealer to find out how much it is going to cost to make a duplicate key and he said $75(cost of the key) + $165(remote) + $65(labor for programming) total $305.....Yikes!!! what a ripoff. Anybody know cheaper alternatives or websites that can offer for less? I am still running on just one key :-(

·
Registered
107 Posts
haha I guess I am lucky. I got pissed and threw my Nontech 10' transponder. It shattered into about 10 different pieces.. I had to go hunting for them on the asphalt. took me a while to put them all together. still works like new.

hahah though... I don't really even need the remote...since I use Viper

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheaper solution for lost keys

I found an cheaper solution after doing some research....I ordered these two keys from ebay and took it to the local locksmith...got all my 3keys (original + 2new keys) reprogrammed without any issues.

NEW MAZDA TRANSPONDER CHIP UNCUT IGNITION KEY 500 | eBay

MAZDA REMOTE FLIP KEY KEYLESS ENTRY FOB TRANSMITTER | eBay

Total cost for two keys = $40(transponder key with remote) + $7 (just transponder key) (prices may have changed)
programming = $85

All in all....I got everything done under $150. Hopefully this will save you some cash :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts