2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I Have a huge problem and Im trying to figure out the best way to tackle it. I had a guy from the dealership replace rotors and brake pads on my girlfriends car and when he went to mount the rim back on and screw the lugs back on, he cross threaded one of the lugs and snapped the bolt right off of the wheel hub. Of course he claimed he didn't do it, which I called bs since we didn't mess around with the wheel until we noticed it today. Since it was off of the books, I don't want to take it to the dealer to get it fixed. :argh 1:

Now I need to find out how to take off the lug nut first and then replace the bolt. I cant take off the rim for obvious reasons since the lug and stud spin when you try to unscrew it. I was thinking of drilling the center of the lug nut out and then drilling 4 points at the stud and lug nut's base and air chiseling it out in order to split the lug nut off. Is that the way id go about it or does anyone have another idea?

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a new one for me. I Worked in a couple tire shops and ive never seen a broken stud with the log still attached and the stud broken off. Id think you can just yank it off, maybe with a pair of narrow vice grips? Otherwise drilling it out always works. Id honestly just damn near drill out the entire stud.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts