2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I screwed up and over torqued one of the three strut tower mount bolts while installing my CS STB.

Any suggestions on how to remove the one bold that is spinning freely on that broken (base-stripped) strut mount stud? I have to install my new Bilstein sport struts and Racing Beat Springs so I got to get this one nut off.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There a few ways:
1. Use a nut splitter tool. Google that.
2. Use chisel and hammer to cut nut.
3. Use drill with bits to cut nut.
Work safe!
Thanks for the great tips. I'll look into getting a nut splitter for this "project".

Only bad part is that the mount nuts do have a flange, so I guess I'll be testing out my surgical skill with a deremel tool.

·
Registered
383 Posts
might sound stupid but here is an idea. you could probably just remove the other 2 nuts that are fine, disconnect the strut from the control arm, and then hammer the bolt(and nut) downward from the top to move the nut up a bit on the bolt and then fit a reciprocating saw with a metal blade in the gap and cut the bolt there?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
might sound stupid but here is an idea. you could probably just remove the other 2 nuts that are fine, disconnect the strut from the control arm, and then hammer the bolt(and nut) downward from the top to move the nut up a bit on the bolt and then fit a reciprocating saw with a metal blade in the gap and cut the bolt there?
Thanks for another great idea.
Maybe I'll have to do this if the nut splitter tool doesn't work but ill have to be really careful not to damage my strut tower bar mounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To piggy back on that last idea. Unbolt the other 2 bolts. Then push down on the bracket's stud using the strut tower as leverage (or hang a prybar from the bottom and pry at it), and try unscrewing the nut. Even though it's stripped the force from the back coupled with spinning should slowly back it off.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To piggy back on that last idea. Unbolt the other 2 bolts. Then push down on the bracket's stud using the strut tower as leverage (or hang a prybar from the bottom and pry at it), and try unscrewing the nut. Even though it's stripped the force from the back coupled with spinning should slowly back it off.
Definitely will try this before resorting to surgery. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts