2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a clanging sound in the rear of our '15 with 25K miles that turned out to be a broken coil spring. Seems early to have this type of problem. How common is this?

The car is just a few months out of warranty, and even if I can claim that it must have been failing during the warranty period, I'm not sure if it's worth going to the mat with Mazda USA over a repair that is not all that expensive.

·
Banned
842 Posts
As a defect it is very un-common for any vehicle. It is also easy to see looking at the break and location of the break to speculate what may have been the cause of the failure. The fact that it took this many years and miles leads me to suspect not a defect?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've got 2 springs with both shocks sitting in my closet from my 16 (upgraded suspension / eventually traded car to the 18.) with like 11-12k miles on them if you're interested.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a defect it is very un-common for any vehicle. It is also easy to see looking at the break and location of the break to speculate what may have been the cause of the failure. The fact that it took this many years and miles leads me to suspect not a defect?
I'll have to wait to see the removed part, but the usual culprit is corrosion. My old E46 BMW was known for this, but it was only a problem in the northern tier "winter salt belt" states, and the Mazda has been through four Michigan winters. I have an engineering background with some concentration in strength of materials, so I can usually make a guess at the failure mode of a component like this -- especially one that has such a simple structure, stressed in torsion.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
Apparently not uncommon with the Mazda 3. There have been others that have reported broken rear springs in the past (right rear seems prevalent, usually the bottom coil ) . Look at it as an opportunity for a suspension upgrade.:smile2: If you are still on the OEM dampers now would be the time to replace them too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently not uncommon with the Mazda 3. There have been others that have reported broken rear springs in the past (right rear seems prevalent, usually the bottom coil ) . Look at it as an opportunity for a suspension upgrade.:smile2: If you are still on the OEM dampers now would be the time to replace them too.
Exactly correct: the right rear, bottom of the coil.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I'll have to wait to see the removed part, but the usual culprit is corrosion. My old E46 BMW was known for this, but it was only a problem in the northern tier "winter salt belt" states, and the Mazda has been through four Michigan winters. I have an engineering background with some concentration in strength of materials, so I can usually make a guess at the failure mode of a component like this -- especially one that has such a simple structure, stressed in torsion.
My response was more curiosity then anything else.
Generally speaking when you consider a production number of a model vehicle these breaks are "uncommon". *I looked and found with only a limited and quick search NO TSB related to any number of rear coil springs breaking on a MAZDA any model. I am sure like everything else in the world these days you can always fine an exception on the internet if you look long and hard enough and there will always be a few having a problem with springs breaking and even some finding a Timex wrest watch in a transmission pan. I did find a Mazda TSB having to do with a valve SPRING.
Never the less you should at least talk to the MAZDA dealership if you purchased it new and see if they are willing to submit a warranty part replacement claim with Mazda. I doubt you will get a new spring but it is still worth trying?.

*AllData

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to replace my right rear spring. 2014 I touring sedan with 75000 miles.
How much should this cost using OEM springs that cost about $50.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes thanks, The repair shop said 40 minutes and it's about as easy as they come. But they want to charge me $75 for the spring and do a wheel alignment after.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
Find a new shop or do it yourself....you should not need an alignment unless there are other indications that you do. Even so, the shop does what you tell them to. They should not be telling you what they want to do.....its your car, your money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah they gave me a bogus reason why an alignment should be done. I'm going to get another price quote.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The other shop will replace the coil spring but they want to charge me a whole hour and do the other side.
That sounds legit to me. With springs or struts it's standard practice to do both sides. As they wear the parts change a bit. By replacing only one side, you'll end up with slightly different handling and response from one side compared to the other.

As far as an hour's labour, that's nothing to complain about. That's quick for that job. Plus many shops charge an hour minimum.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I agree. Do both sides and an hours labor is pretty reasonable for the work being done.
CK

·
Registered
212 Posts
The reason they want to replace both sides is to cover themselves for liability. If one side failed, chances are the other side is degraded too (from corrosion or whatever). Sounds like they're doing you a favor and an hour's labor charge is certainly reasonable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to replace my right rear spring. 2014 I touring sedan with 75000 miles.
How much should this cost using OEM springs that cost about $50.?
Did you have this done and where did you get the spring. I have a 2014 with a broken rear coil and am having an issue finding the part. Do you have a part number.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
Did you have this done and where did you get the spring. I have a 2014 with a broken rear coil and am having an issue finding the part. Do you have a part number.
These are not hard to find. You just need to look. Use google and you will find the answer in about 30 seconds......If you don't know how to find them the dealer has them in stock.....
Rear spring are easy to change also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts